Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDSP

Options
  • 07-06-2009 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭

Do any of the brothers use the McDsp Retro Pack Plugins ? What yez reckon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Do any of the brothers use the McDsp Retro Pack Plugins ? What yez reckon?

They don't work in Logic:( but the international brotherhood (Gearslutz guys) rate them highly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

yup, i purchased them last week and they are stunning. my fave uses so far are squashing drums with the comp and the eq on vocals.

also paul, havent forgotten that other thing ;).. just had a hectic week with end of year hand-ups/exams in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

They don't work in Logic:( but the international brotherhood (Gearslutz guys) rate them highly.

Oh ? I'm just reading a review in Resolution Magazine and they mention a TDM and Native version ... I guess that could be just for protools ...

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Oh ? I'm just reading a review in Resolution Magazine and they mention a TDM and Native version ... I guess that could be just for protools ...

yup. all mcdsp is rtas only.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭tweeky

Mcdsp comes in TDM flavours and works on Logic HD systems!

• Advertisement

tweeky wrote: »

sorry, meant pro tools only.

tweeky wrote: »

Hi Tweeky, is that Solid State Logic? Not the Apple thingy?

Ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭woodsdenis

To clear any confusion, up Mc DSP are only Protools TDM or RTAS.

however

If you have a Protools TDM system you can use Logic as a front end to the system. Basically you use Logic as you normally do and get access to TDM plugs and hardware. Digital Preformer will allow you to do this aswell.
    You can also use Live/Reason in rewire mode using Protools as a mixer too, giving you access to TDM only plugs.

The issues are

1. You have to have a Protools TDM system !!!!
    2. With updates to PT, getting Logic to work isn't a priority for Digidesign. No surprise there.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I use quite a few McDsp plugins on TDM. Protools and Logic using the DAE as a audio engine thingy. Their quality is fantastic, but the new plugs didn't particularly catch my eye. Looks just like any other "retro-sounding" plug-in IMO. I doubt if it does anything I don't already have in my collection already.

studiorat wrote: »
    Looks just like any other "retro-sounding" plug-in IMO. I doubt if it does anything I don't already have in my collection already.

well then you doubt wrong. go have a listen before deciding on them. they arent modelled on any harware at all, just coded to give a retro feel. totally differant flavour to any of the high end plugins (waves, UAD, liquidmix etc)

• Advertisement

what the hell is a retro feel?

apart from the non clipping output they have the same saturation emulation they have been using for 10 years.

woodsdenis wrote: »
    To clear any confusion, up Mc DSP are only Protools TDM or RTAS.

however

If you have a Protools TDM system you can use Logic as a front end to the system. Basically you use Logic as you normally do and get access to TDM plugs and hardware. Digital Preformer will allow you to do this aswell.
    You can also use Live/Reason in rewire mode using Protools as a mixer too, giving you access to TDM only plugs.

The issues are

1. You have to have a Protools TDM system !!!!
    2. With updates to PT, getting Logic to work isn't a priority for Digidesign. No surprise there.:eek:

Thanks Denis, that was very informative.

apart from the non clipping output they have the same saturation emulation they have been using for 10 years.

yeah sorry, you're right. even though they sound completly differant to any of their other plugs they're still just the same thing in a differant gui arent they? :rolleyes:

yeah sorry, you're right. even though they sound completly differant to any of their other plugs they're still just the same thing in a differant gui arent they? :rolleyes:

Retro feel??:rolleyes:

Cop on...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

You know , when you meet an oul wan out in Barry's Hotel at the Nurse's dance, like ...

Retro feel??:rolleyes:

Cop on...

so you're telling me to cop on even though you havent even tried them yet? thats some pretty strong reasoning you've got right there.

why dont you give them a go and then come back with some valid opinions cause making claims about a product you dont even know is pretty redundant.

as for a "retro feel", waves have it in their v-series, uad have it in their neve emulations, chandler EMI have it in their TG series, so whats so hard to understand?

Advertisement