Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new model iphone-getting an unlocked one in Italy??

Options
  • 07-06-2009 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I got my iphone 3g , unlocked in Italy. I have since sold it, and Id like to get my paws on the new model as sson as it comes out (likely July 17th)..

So, I was gonna book flights to Italy, but heard that Belguim also sold unlocked handsets, so I did a search on Wiki to see what other countries sell their phones unlocked, and according to wiki, only Singapore do?

And Italy dont?..see below..
    Italy

Italy has SIM locking laws that the carriers must specify the amount of subsidies, and subscribers can obtain unlocking codes after 9 months by paying 1/2 of the listed subsidies. The SIM lock must be removed within 18 months.

So does this mean that the new iphone may actually be network locked in Italy this time around?..see link below for full details..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIM_lock

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Have a look here, this list is for the 3G model

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭marymc

I'd love to know more about this too. I'm heading to Italy for a wedding in early July anyway, so if I can get an unlocked iPhone 3GS, it will make it all worth while! :p

I have a Nokia 5800, but I've always wanted an iPhone too. And while it still isn't perfect, at least it has goddamn VIDEO now, and 32gb. And cool stuff like App Store and Compass make up for areas where Nokia beats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Evergreen

cojomo2 wrote: »
    So does this mean that the new iphone may actually be network locked in Italy this time around?..see link below for full details..

Do not rely on Wikipedia, it is the largest database of lies in the World.

Check out this list of carriers approved by Apple around the World on this link http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937

Itlay Vodafone and TIM are both listed as not having carrier locks on their products :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

Hey,

I got my iphone 3g , unlocked in Italy. I have since sold it, and Id like to get my paws on the new model as sson as it comes out (likely July 17th)..

So, I was gonna book flights to Italy, but heard that Belguim also sold unlocked handsets, so I did a search on Wiki to see what other countries sell their phones unlocked, and according to wiki, only Singapore do?

And Italy dont?..see below..
    Italy

Italy has SIM locking laws that the carriers must specify the amount of subsidies, and subscribers can obtain unlocking codes after 9 months by paying 1/2 of the listed subsidies. The SIM lock must be removed within 18 months.

But, as a buyer of an iPhone in Italy, like myself, you KNOW, that the iPhone is not sim, carrier or network-locked over there. (and that it's far cheaper to buy there than in Belgium or France).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

culabula wrote: »
    But, as a buyer of an iPhone in Italy, like myself, you KNOW, that the iPhone is not sim, carrier or network-locked over there. (and that it's far cheaper to buy there than in Belgium or France).

yep i know that its the case for the 3g model, i was wondering if things were changing with the new version. The apple website verifies nothings changing tho..

• Advertisement

There is no such thing as country locking, that just defeats the whole point of having a GSM phone with International roaming

Evergreen wrote: »
    There is no such thing as country locking, that just defeats the whole point of having a GSM phone with International roaming

No it doesn't, from what i have read, if a phone is country locked, it wont accept foreign sim cards, that doesn't mean you can roam on the original sim it came with...

yep i know that its the case for the 3g model, i was wondering if things were changing with the new version. The apple website verifies nothings changing tho..

Italian Law is not iPhone-dependent!

No it doesn't, from what i have read, if a phone is country locked, it wont accept foreign sim cards, that doesn't mean you can roam on the original sim it came with...

SIM-locked, network-locked, never heard of country-locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Mcloke

Can anyone tell me approx how much the iphone 3g cost in Italy on release...just to give me an idea of how much the new one might cost over there :)

• Advertisement

Mcloke wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me approx how much the iphone 3g cost in Italy on release...just to give me an idea of how much the new one might cost over there :)

If it's any help, an unlocked 3G 16GB from Orange in France cosats EUR 709, not sure if that includes VAT or not though.

Mcloke wrote: »

You only have to look on the TIM or Vodafone Italy websites.

My 16GB white cost 569€ from TIM, unlocked. I believe the 8GB was 499€.

These prices contrast very favourably with those in France and in Belgium. In addition, cojones2 has pointed out that a further 20€ can be saved by buying SIM-free from around Roma Termini.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭jammer84

Does anybody know if the iPhone can be got sim free over in the Algarve? I know a lad who will be over there until Sunday.

culabula wrote: »
    You only have to look on the TIM or Vodafone Italy websites.

My 16GB white cost 569€ from TIM, unlocked. I believe the 8GB was 499€.
    These prices contrast very favourably with those in France and in Belgium. In addition, cojones2 has pointed out that a further 20€ can be saved by buying SIM-free from around Roma Termini.

not really, the difference isn't huge , the 8gig in belgium is 525euro, 16gig is 625.

jammer84 wrote: »
    Does anybody know if the iPhone can be got sim free over in the Algarve? I know a lad who will be over there until Sunday.

according to apple website, the iphone 3g is offered by both vodafone and optimus in Portugal. Both are sold with network locks, however vodafone offer authorised unlocking subject to certain conditions...(you will have to ask them what these are, it could be something as simple as just requesting it to be unlocked, or there may be a fee involved)

according to apple website, the iphone 3g is offered by both vodafone and optimus in Portugal. Both are sold with network locks, however vodafone offer authorised unlocking subject to certain conditions...(you will have to ask them what these are, it could be something as simple as just requesting it to be unlocked, or there may be a fee involved)

Cheers.

Where is this info on the apple website. I cannot seem to locate it anywhere?

jammer84 wrote: »
    Cheers.

Where is this info on the apple website. I cannot seem to locate it anywhere?
    here:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937

Advertisement