Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Thurles

Options
  • 07-06-2009 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm moving to Thurles in about a month and would like to know what the town is like.
    Are there any good bars? What is the nightlife like in general? Any messing on the weekends?
    Looking at renting a house, are there any estates I should stay away from? I don't want to end up living next door to messers or drugies!

Any advice welcome,
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Hi,

I'm moving to Thurles in about a month and would like to know what the town is like.
    Are there any good bars? What is the nightlife like in general? Any messing on the weekends?
    Looking at renting a house, are there any estates I should stay away from? I don't want to end up living next door to messers or drugies!

Any advice welcome,
    Thanks.

I'm from Thurles.....but I haven't spent a huge amount of time there in the last few years. To answer your questions on good bars...I like Noel Ryans (Parnell Street) although it does tend to get very crowded and full of mad farmers at times, The Arch Bar (Liberty Square), Larrys (Dempseys Square) and one or two others are pretty decent.

Night club wise you're stuck with Hayes which I've no love for....been there twice in the last 10 years and it's still crap. There's a new place opening up which may give Hayes a run for it's money but judging by past ventures in the same place it's doubtful.

Messing wise....well when I lived in Thurles or when I'm back there (which isn't very often) there's always been some element of messing but hey you get gob****es everywhere and Thurles is no different.

Estates you should stay away from.....I lived on Parnell Street and my folks still live there so I don't really know a whole lot about the other areas in the town. I guess if I had to pick two places out I'd say maybe Cabra Court and Monakeeba should be avoided (apologies to anyone who lives in either place but at least when I lived in Thurles those two werre where a lot of the insanity took place).

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

Hi Norrie, i live in Thurles and can agree wth all of Rory's ponts (even though i live nest door to Cabra Court!:o!)....It has like all towns t's good and bad points so if u need any more info give me a pm and we'll chat further pet.
    Might even meet for a pint!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Pubs that may or may not be to your taste but have a lot less hassle.
    The Monks, good atmosphere.
    Ryans on Parnell st. is ok not my cup of tea though.
    Arch bar as mentioned.

There are houses to rent that aren't in estates too so check them out, you might be better off going through an auctioneer (you don't pay them the landlord does) and they can put you in touch with landlords some of which are looking for genuine people who won't trash the place and sometimes you can actually get a cheaper deal as well than if you went direct to a landlord.

Would avoid any houses in the town itself, can be too noisy at night.
    Although living near a pub might be handy sometimes the hassle of other people shoutin their heads off is no fun.
    Perhaps sticking to the other end of town the quieter end might suit, most houses are withing staggering distance of a pub anyway.
    Areas like bohernamona road and that area although like anywhere just really depends on who your direct neighbours are. You could get a nice estate and then just happen to live beside a nosey old biddy or party animals.

We rented for a while opposite the old cinema went through an auctioneer it's a great area on that street, although I wouldn't go over the bridge to the other side to rent.

Might be worth you talking a stroll around the town at various times of the day to get an idea.

There's supposed to be a new nightclub or pub of sorts opening up soon.
    Hayses sucks unless you're young and very very drunk, mind you never liked it then either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 andy23

dont............just...............dont.(sobs gently).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Try and rent a house in the clongour area. And yes, stay away from Monakeeba, kennedy park and cabra court.

• Advertisement
Advertisement