Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of deposit

Options
  • 07-06-2009 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

hi,
    I was living in rented accommodation in Cork for 3 years and paid €850 deposit. The apartment was left in immaculate condition with all appliances working, every room cleaned and keys returned.
    -The landlady said as the rent was paid into an account she can only pay the deposit back through my account (even though the deposit was given to her in cash).
    -I was wondering what my rights are and how long is a reasonable amount of time to wait for the return of the deposit (I moved out 10 days ago)
    Thanks,
    Grace

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

This is very poor form from the landlady.... ask for your deposit immediately or you will contact the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

what a load of rubbish. either way should have it transfered into your account in a matter of days.

dont be surprised if she gives you another excuse though

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Sounds like a load of bollox to be honest. I'd advise contacting her and politely requesting she give you the deposit, as given to her- in cash, within 2 days- as you need it for a deposit on another property (regardless of whether this is true or not). Tell her that you would rather she deal with it promptly, than you're having to ask the PRTB intercede. Unless there is damage over and above normal wear and tear- you are entitled to your deposit back in full...... She really is chancing her arm........

• Registered Users Posts: 35 gracem

Thanks for the advice. Rang her today n shes dodging my calls. Im not just saying it because i did all the cleaning but the place was left in A1 condition. When she said the thing about putting the money into the account i presumed she was telling the truth because she was always great to deal with until now. I want my money though €850 is a lot of money!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

send her a text

if she doesn't reply in 24 hours send her another text saying you are taking it to the prtb since you presume she is avoiding you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement