Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP-AG SCIENCE

Options
  • 07-06-2009 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi! I am thinking about taking up ag science next year (5th year) outside of school. However I am quite concerned about the workload that is involved. How hard is it to get an A1 or A2?

I don't live on a farm and I am worried that I might find it difficult to do the experience part of coursework. Is there a lot of work involved and is it necessary to live on a farm??

So I would be grateful if anyone doing ag science or has done it would shed some light on my questions.

Or if you have any other suggestions on subjects that are doable outside of school, once a week I would be extremely grateful. :D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

hey there...

yeah i'm doing my leaving now, and i picked up ag just at the start of this year outside school. i found the coursework a doddle, espiacally as i also do biology and am from a strong enough farming background, so that was cool. the project was ok...i know loads of people who don't live on farms and who still managed to have a decent folder come april/may. it is an advantage however if you know your breeds and care of lambs etc already! make sure you get somehwere that you can actually do the "oral" part of the course (yes, its there) i.e a school. a decent grinds teacher should clear this up. so i'd recommend it yeah, ive enjoyed it, hoping for an A next week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jamie-obraonain

Thanks very much for the reply! Really helpful! Just interested to know...what did u do for the crop part of the project??? Best of luck in the exam and also with the rest of ur exams!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

for the crop part i did barley...i think that thats the most popular, but you can do a root crop instead, which would be sugar beet. i don't live on a tillage farm, so that part was all from the book and internet, although i got some samples in a nearby field and stuck them in too.

thanks, glad that helped!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Just on the crops, you need to have two crops done... a root or cereal or grass. Two of the three.

Also if you are doing it outside school you need to have a teacher who will grade your project and sign off to say you did all the practical work. If you do not have a teacher to do this you will not get a grade for the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 koolciaran

any chance anyone has spare ag science notes . i have a set o my own but some how i dont feel secure... im doing my leaving cert in 2010.... next year:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

koolciaran wrote: »
    any chance anyone has spare ag science notes . i have a set o my own but some how i dont feel secure... im doing my leaving cert in 2010.... next year:D

get the Rapid Revision Ag Science book by Elaine Buckley Murphy. it has pretty much everything you need in it. It's about €10

Advertisement