Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought top today. Security tag left on! Help

Options
  • 06-06-2009 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hiya.

I bought a top today in debenhams. The security tag was left on.

I need the top for next weekend. Wont get a chance to get into the city for another few more weeks to get the security tag off.

Just wondering would any other shop like next or new look that has security tags on their clothes be able to take it of for me. Would be beside a next and new look tomorrow but there isn't a hope in hell I'd get into debenhams.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I can beat that. My wife bought a jacket in the liverpool shop in Liverpool and only noticed the tag when she got home to Dublin.

We took it into champion sports in Tallaght with our receipt and they took it off for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 leanne923

UGH!!! Annoying!!! This has happened to me a bit!!! Usually I just go back to the shop with the recipt and they take it off....ususally no apoligy tho!!!

You could try the other shops but they might have a different type of tag and DEFOOOO bring your recipt, you don't want the sales assistants talking about you after you've left!!!

Also if its the tags that dont have the red ink you could just get a hammer and whack!!! There magnetic so witha good bang they should fall apart!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

A strong magnet placed in the right position will open the lock, it should be easy enough to do.

Failing that wrap it in tinfoil:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Go to youtube and type in '' how to remove a security tag ''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭shreksaurus

leanne923 wrote: »
    Also if its the tags that dont have the red ink you could just get a hammer and whack!!! There magnetic so witha good bang they should fall apart!!!

I'm not even going to chance this. Its too much of a nice top. And its expensive too.

Thanks for the replies will try next or new look tomorrow and hope to god they'll be able to take it off for me.

• Advertisement

Gillo wrote: »
    A strong magnet placed in the right position will open the lock, it should be easy enough to do.

Failing that wrap it in tinfoil:D:D

Wrap it tinfoil. Really? What would that do. Will search the house for a magnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭viv2

What does the tag look like? If its a long greyish one with a button pin you should be able to get somebody in next to take it off for you , just bring in the receipt so they wont think its been robbed.A magnet wont help as it needs a curved pin to release the pin.
    Im not sure what tags New Look use.
    If its one that has dye in it dont try to take it off you will only end up ruining the top.

Just wondering if the alarms went off when you left the shop? most people just ignore them and then get annoyed late on when they realise there is a tag on something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

This has happened to me twice; both on occasions where I wanted to wear the item that evening.

I used a pliers and a bit of brute force and it did the trick both times.

Such a pain when it happens though:rolleyes:

viv2 wrote: »
    What does the tag look like? If its a long greyish one with a button pin you should be able to get somebody in next to take it off for you , just bring in the receipt so they wont think its been robbed.A magnet wont help as it needs a curved pin to release the pin.
    Im not sure what tags New Look use.
    If its one that has dye in it dont try to take it off you will only end up ruining the top.

Just wondering if the alarms went off when you left the shop? most people just ignore them and then get annoyed late on when they realise there is a tag on something.

Dont know what those tags with red dye looks like.

The security tag on my top is a big fat round one.

I'll try those two shops tomorrow. If they cant help me I'll have to break my ass going into town during the week and rush out to work.

I was shoppimg debenhams in galway. I went down stairs to marks&spensers and there was a lot of alarms being set off alright. I had the earphones in but I never once thought that it could have been me setting of alarms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

If it's a big fat round dark grey one you put a strongish magnet on one side then push the two sides together while twisting slightly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Thanks for the heads-up.

Security monitors obviously don't work in Debenhams. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

If it's the colour ones don't attempt to try taking it off because if you do and when it bursts your refund/exchange is out the window. As Gillo said use a strong magnet. Post a picture of the security tag!;)

I couldn't get into town today.

I tried next, new look and dunnes. They couldn't get it off because they all have different security tags.

Guy in new look was very helpful. He tried but couldn't. He told me to go back to the shop I bought it from with the receipt and complain and they very well might give me the top as in give me the money back and allow me to keep the top too but he told me that I'd have to complain. It happened to a friend of his.

I can't find a strong magnet either so can't do it myself.

Its going to be a hazzle going into to town during the week. I'm so busy but need the top for next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Really annoying. Happened to me once or twice and took a while before I realised it was me setting off the alarms in all of the other shops I walked into afterwards! Very embarrassing.

I would complain and tell them it was an effort for you to get back there and a serious inconvenience. I don't know why they bother with these security tags if you can waltz out of there setting the alarm off and not turn a head or have someone follow you.

pookie82 wrote: »
    Really annoying. Happened to me once or twice and took a while before I realised it was me setting off the alarms in all of the other shops I walked into afterwards! Very embarrassing.

I would complain and tell them it was an effort for you to get back there and a serious inconvenience. I don't know why they bother with these security tags if you can waltz out of there setting the alarm off and not turn a head or have someone follow you.

Its very annoying. Mortified would be an understatement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭jaxy999

This happened my brother the day we were going to a wedding! It was 3.00pm when he put on his black trousers & then realised the tag was still on & the wedding was at 4.00pm:eek: He had to saw through the tag to get it off! He was lucky it wasn't the A&E he spend the evening in instead at the reception.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

If the tills don't have a security-tag detector it can sometimes be quite difficult to make sure all tags are off, especially if some idiot puts them on an inside lining seam or puts two on.

Anyway, if it's the round tags (usually black), they have dye in them, don't chance it. Dunnes phased these out but should still have the tag remover magnet thigns under the tills. Most stores use the white ones that are fatter at one end.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Ring the store.

You could post it to them and they could post it back or tell them you are potting it in a Taxi and you want it send back to you in a taxi. ( all at their expence) or they could get someone to deliver another one to you in work and you give them the 1st one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Gaillimh1990

hat happened in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Eerie

This happened to me with Arnotts before. The alarm definitely didn't go off when I left the shop. It was a top i'd bought to wear on christmas day and i didn't notice till i went to put it on on christmas morning. Brought it back to them and they couldn't have been more apologetic - they also gave me a voucher for 20% of the price of the top for the inconvenience! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nools

happened to a friend of mine in zara, her boyfriend went in and kicked up a fuss as she couldnt bring it in herself and got a €50 voucher. I worked in retail for years and the area manager told us that if you leave the tag on a customers item the shop can be done for slander, as essentially with all the beeping the customer is being "called" a theif if you get me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 mam1

Hi I know this is too late for OP but heres the thing with Debenhams if they leave security tags on and you ring them and make a bit of a fuss they will send someone out to you to remove it at your house hope this helps someone out there the shop in Blanch has done this for me on 2 occasions!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Nools wrote: »
    happened to a friend of mine in zara, her boyfriend went in and kicked up a fuss as she couldnt bring it in herself and got a €50 voucher. I worked in retail for years and the area manager told us that if you leave the tag on a customers item the shop can be done for slander, as essentially with all the beeping the customer is being "called" a theif if you get me

bet you weren't meant to tell anyone that either :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

My mam went in with two bags she had bought at Christmas to keep as pressies throughout the year, hadn't checked inside and Oasis had left tags in both of them, she went in at the weekend but they were VERY suspicious!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

apparently if you stick the top in the freezer it will freeze the coloured dye so it doesnt ruin the top when you break the tag apart. Read it in a magazine article bout a serial shoplifter!!

Has happened to me before and I nearly died - was afraid I was gonna be arrested even though had my receipt etc!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

whatever you do, DO NOT force it,apart from the dye, the glass could hurt you. really all you can do is return there with the receipt and kick up; don't be obnoxious but explain that you bought it for an occasion and couldn't wear it because of the the tag.

they may well give something as a goodwill getsure; i remember management once paid to take 2customers to lunch for the inconvenience.

Advertisement