Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSH Tunnel & RTÉ

Options
  • 06-06-2009 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭

Bit late in the day now, but wondering does anyone know how to set up an SSH tunnel to watch RTÉ live streams abroad? I'm missing out on the Irish qualifiers. I assume it should be relatively simple, but so far my attempts have let me down.

I tried:
    sh -L 8080:127.0.0.1:554 username@myirishserver and then setting the RTSP proxy to 127.0.0.1:554 in Real Player, but no joy.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Tillotson

"ssh USER@SERVER -CNL PORT:localhost:PORT"

That's what I use to chat on a jabber sever. I imagine it's probably some variation on this

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

ssh -D <port> <server>

then set 127.0.0.1:<port> as your socks proxy in real player (if it supports socks proxies).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Khannie wrote: »
    ssh -D <port> <server>

then set 127.0.0.1:<port> as your socks proxy in real player (if it supports socks proxies).

Will give it a shot. The problem i'm worried about is that Real Player uses the RTSP protocol - right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Maybe you could use FoxyProxy Firefox addon?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

p wrote: »
    I tried:
    sh -L 8080:127.0.0.1:554 username@myirishserver and then setting the RTSP proxy to 127.0.0.1:554 in Real Player, but no joy.

Any ideas?
    This website gives a good overview of ssh tunnelling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

p wrote: »
    Will give it a shot. The problem i'm worried about is that Real Player uses the RTSP protocol - right?

The -D option creates a SOCKS (4 I think) proxy connection between you and your box at home so it will dynamically port forward the requested ports once you can tell your media player to use the localhost SOCKs proxy on the port yea specify. Btw, this is a really useful option of SSH as it allows yea to create a secure connection which you can use from your laptop when traveling and using open wifi access points.

That also works for rte.ie/player too

Advertisement