Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perscription dog food.

Options
  • 06-06-2009 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

My rottie has some kind of stomach disorder and our vet reccomended Hills Perscription food which does agree with him but costs €92 euro for a bag. He gets very smelly when fed regular food or dog food and his tummy gets inflamed and he passes blood after a week or two and needs antibiotics to clear up the infection he gets. Hes a big boy and a bag of hills would last 3 weeks.With hubby now on a 3 day week we really cant afford this. Is there anywhere I can get it cheaper or is there any other food that has the same properties for dogs with dodgy tummies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Hi OP,

What is the name of the Hill's food your vet has put your dog on? They have a few different prescription ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Broad

Hi Charisma - I don't know if this is of any help or relevance but we are also now for the past two months in the three-day-week work situation with four canine mouths to feed (and five human!) and my oldest dog at 14 was put on the Hill's Prescription Diet k/d (kidney support diet) which is very low in protein but very high in price! I looked for a different food than she had been on and found the "Burns" food which is a "holistic" food made largely of brown rice with a choice of meat ingredients, lamb, chicken or fish. Not battery chicken in the chicken one. The food looks very plain like the Hills, no brightly coloured lumps of anything, no chemical ingredients. I always disliked the ingredient on other foods of "meat and animal deivatives" and these foods lack the "animal derivatives" bit. The ingredients list is entirely understandable. The lamb one smells of lamb and the fish one of fish. Now that's a novelty for dog food. With the vet's approval I have slowly moved a proportion of the Hills to a proportion of the Burns over six weeks and a blood test shows that her levels of whatever is relevant to her kidney function is fine - she is now on 75% Burns to 25% Hills. If all well I am not going to buy another bag of Hills. My vet is now thinking that if the protein in the food is truly primary grade protein from pure meat than the kidneys may not be under such stress.

Just that there is no harm in asking your vet if you could try gradually moving to this food - it may just be lacking the substance that upsets your dog's stomach - and for my dogs with no health problems they seem to produce much less poo than on the food they had been on before! It is costing 55 euro a 15kg bag but I am told I can get it for less online. Is still lots less than Hills and also suits your conscience if you like to know where your meat comes from and don't like to eat battery chicken.

And no I don't work for the Burns' dog food company or know anyone in it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Allgäuerin

Hi!
    We feeding our dogs now http://www.wellbeloved.com . Our vet recommended to feed hills, but when i checked the internet for it i found out that hills only in the price list is the best!
    The wellbeloved is not much cheaper (62 €) but much better for the doggies.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ahaaha

spent a fortune on our fella when he was a pup and eventually diagnosed with irritable colon. moved to hills food (was previously on burns) and it is just brilliant. the extra money is really worth it. i still buy mine from the vets (support local business etc) but on www.zooplus.co.uk its far cheaper. make sure you go to the uk site and not the irish one - far cheaper and free delivery

Advertisement