Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elton John Thomond Park..

Options
  • 06-06-2009 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

sorry all.. tickets are taken.

feel free to delete mods..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Sitting in the pissing rain listening to Elton John. Best of luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I could just sit out my mothers back and listen to it for free.

Why would I want to pay to sit in the rain when I can do it for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Berty wrote: »
    I could just sit out my mothers back and listen to it for free.

Why would I want to pay to sit in the rain when I can do it for free.

I can hear it now, and I reckon I am quite a bit further away from it than your mother's backgarden. It must be very loud for the locals there if I can make out songs a few miles away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Is he on now? My deepest sympathies Kess :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I can hear "yellow brick rooooooooooad" quite clearly and I'm in Janesboro

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

ya?

I can hear "yellow brick rooooooooooad" quite clearly and I'm on Janesboro

I'm staying on the South circular road for a few days and can hear him very clearly now.

DarkJager wrote: »
    Is he on now? My deepest sympathies Kess :D

And I cannot throw a stone that far. :D

Kess73 wrote: »
    I can hear it now, and I reckon I am quite a bit further away from it than your mother's backgarden. It must be very loud for the locals there if I can make out songs a few miles away.

You think locals in a certain vicinity surrounding the area would get tickets on account of reduced access and noise disruption.

Fair enough. I doubt Elton John is first on the list of desirable CD's in the Thomondgate area but FREE is FREE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

Kess73 wrote: »
    I'm staying on the South circular road for a few days and can hear him very clearly now.

likewise =(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭boardsdotie

Can here it in dooradoyle, Shocking:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Can hear him in Ballycummin too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

LB6 wrote: »
    Can hear him in Ballycummin too
    I am in Caherdavin , and I hear sod all but my tv, its raining and windy out.

Glad I cant hear him to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭boardsdotie

Chong wrote: »
    I am in Caherdavin , and I hear sod all but my tv, its raining and windy out.

Glad I cant hear him to be honest.

North West wind blowing him over here to dooradoyle/Ballycummin

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

but how??..hes not that loud on the CDs???
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

ya could hear him in dooradoyle plus i have line of site to the park roof could make out most songs.. mother and girlfiend just returned and had a great time.. except for the weather..

Fair enough elton is not one of my favs but its good to see this happening only a matter of time before someone decent to play there..

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Osk

Jesus - the weather was as bad as could be. Totally soaked through but the show wasn't bad at all. As most of you heard :P he played for almost 2.5 hours which isn't bad at all.

I'm not an Elton fan but picked up a ticket way back when, supporting first act to come to Thomond in the hope for many more and thinking of a lovely balmy June evening, .... :rolleyes: The pitch was only half in use and I stood at the back barriers just beside the sound desk looking up at the lucky dry feckers in the stand.

Glad I went now that I'm dry and warm again!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I'm just in from the concert, I was freezing, soaked to the skin but have to say I really enjoyed it - weather and all! I wouldn't be his biggest fan (got the ticket free last minute from a friend who wasn't able to go), but I am glad to see that there is now somewhere in Limerick that is capable of holding concerts like this.
    half the pitch - down by the south terrace - was blocked off but both the east and west stands seemed full, and we had great craic bopping away down on the pitch in the lashing rain :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

You think locals in a certain vicinity surrounding the area would get tickets on account of reduced access and noise disruption.

Fair enough. I doubt Elton John is first on the list of desirable CD's in the Thomondgate area but FREE is FREE

The locals got enough money for their houses in fairness, well the ones that were affected by the construction

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭clint_eastman

The locals got enough money for their houses in fairness, well the ones that were affected by the construction
    not sure if you're being an ass or not, sarcasm???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

cAr0l wrote: »
    I'm just in from the concert, I was freezing, soaked to the skin but have to say I really enjoyed it - weather and all! I wouldn't be his biggest fan (got the ticket free last minute from a friend who wasn't able to go), but I am glad to see that there is now somewhere in Limerick that is capable of holding concerts like this.
    half the pitch - down by the south terrace - was blocked off but both the east and west stands seemed full, and we had great craic bopping away down on the pitch in the lashing rain :)

if Limerick really wanted to get big acts we could fit about 50 or 60 thousand into the gaelic grounds no problem using the pitch!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Your only hurdle there would be the GAA allowing it. They are not known to be easy to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,789 ✭✭✭✭phog

I was at the concert and aside from the freezing weather it was really enjoyable, great to see a concert venue available in Limerick, real pity about the weather, the worst night in fortnight and it happens to be the concert niight.

He was on stage with no interval for at least 2.25 hours, gave a good show and Thomond Park rocked :)

Both stands were almost to capacity, two sections on each side not sold due to position of the stage on the Balla end of the field, no terrace tickets sold and about half the field was floored for standing tickets in front of the stage, overall it looked well again except for the lousy weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

I was up in the east stand fairly close to the stage - any else think the sound was crap? Hadn't a clue what Elton was saying in between songs and if his music wasn't so well known I wouldn't have been able to make out the songs at all. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

Pikasso wrote: »
    I was up in the east stand fairly close to the stage - any else think the sound was crap? Hadn't a clue what Elton was saying in between songs and if his music wasn't so well known I wouldn't have been able to make out the songs at all. :(

the sound on the pitch was good.. I could undestand him.. between songs he said something once or twice the other times he was just waving and giving thumbs up...

I was more or less dragged along by the ohter half.. but I'm glad i went now.. twas good.. and only in the road!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Did anyone see it on any news on any channel ?

jonski wrote: »
    Did anyone see it on any news on any channel ?

You wont hear about a concert in Limerick.

You will hear about a concert 201km from Dublin instead. Heaven forbid they speak of Limerick without shaming us.(the media)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,789 ✭✭✭✭phog

You wont hear about a concert in Limerick.

You will hear about a concert 201km from Dublin instead. Heaven forbid they speak of Limerick without shaming us.(the media)

Well there's enough of own doing it here on this very forum almost on a daily basis, everytime some looks crooked at someone else there's a new thread started, hard to blame the media for that.

I suppose bad news gets more publicty than good news, also, what's so news worthy of an Elton John concert especially when we had counts of the local, European and the two by-elections as the main news topics the day of the concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I was about ten metres from the stage, directly opposite Elton. It was good stuff, the sound was perfect and performance was great. I wouldn't be his biggest fan, but it was worthwhile. Plus I live about 15 minutes away, so it was handier than any Dublin concerts, which require an overnight or a late arrival home! We got soaked though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Cant stand Elton John apart from his tracks I'm still standing or Nikita which were class tracks.....

Fantastic to see at long last, a BIG venue in Limerick
    where a Band/Artist can come and play.

Its really been something that annoyed me for years,
    where Big Name Artists ONLY played Dublin or sometimes
    Cork.

Now perhaps at least as a City we can provide a venue
    to artists that draw a larger crowd.

~B

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement