Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on getting a beginner board

Options
  • 06-06-2009 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Im going to take up surfing over the summer as it looks like its great fun. Iv gone surfing a few times last summer and i enjoyed it
    I read the advice about choosing a board at the top of the forum but need some extra advice before i purchase one.

I am 6ft 1 and 10 stone and im looking for a board that allow me to stand up on it as quickly as possible.
    If anyone has any extra advice i would be grateful or even selling a board that would suit me im looking to buy a second hand one.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

My first board was 8'4 with 6ft 12stone of me on it.

The bigger the board the faster you'll stand.

I'd say get a board somewhere around ~8ft and then when you progress see if you would like to go up to a longboard or down to a shortboard.

Most importantly, have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rower2K8

kodute wrote: »
    My first board was 8'4 with 6ft 12stone of me on it.

The bigger the board the faster you'll stand.

I'd say get a board somewhere around ~8ft and then when you progress see if you would like to go up to a longboard or down to a shortboard.

Most importantly, have fun!

Thanks kodute for the reply:). Is anyone selling a cheap board arond the 8ft ?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

There was a used boards thread. Will prob have second hands on that one. If not check out www.irishsurfer.com and look in the classified section for second hand ones. +1 on the 8ft plus. Being 6'1". I'd be lookin around a 8'6" minimum imo.

loctite wrote: »
    There was a used boards thread. Will prob have second hands on that one. If not check out www.irishsurfer.com and look in the classified section for second hand ones. +1 on the 8ft plus. Being 6'1". I'd be lookin around a 8'6" minimum imo.
    cheers for the reply eh. . . i left a reply on the used board fourm and ill keep a eye on the irish sufer site for new adds because there was nothing there i liked when i looked Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭roxychix

couple of options vary in price though the prices they used to be when i worked in a surf shop but could be little cheaper now fingers crossed
    bic 8 4 around 395euro plastic nearly unbreakable
    circle one epoxy either 7 10 they also do 8ftplus 385-450euro nice but have outer fibreglass sheen so can get damaged easily if ur not carefull
    nsp harder epoxy resin than the circle one 7 10 395 too also do longer boards to very similar to the bic but different materials used in them.
    hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

At 6'1" you should certainly have the arms to carry a Longboard. Although light have a look at guys like Joel Tudor etc on youtube, they're all skinny as hell.
    Don't go for anything less then 8ft, forget all notions of Kelly Slator like acrobatics and ******y sprays 'cause a short pointy board will just curtail the fun you could be having by actually being able to catching a wave and riding it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Longboards for beginners, generally 8 foot or longer. Look for wider boards with wide noses to increase your stability. Also, you want more of a rocker (bottom curve of board) than one that's flat, as it will be more maneuverable.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

I got my 8' 4" here best deal I found by a long shot.
    Includes the bag and leash and is still cheaper than most shops charge for the board alone.

Thanks lads for the replys and comments

Advertisement