Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restricted breed loop hole..?

Options
  • 06-06-2009 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

so I have a bull terrier(some might say ENGLISH bull terrier),hes registered as a bull terrier which is not on the restricted breeds list,I was wondering is this a viable loop hole so i dont need to muzzle the dog (i mean technically)..?

reason for writing this is the gardai stopped me claiming he's a pitbull and should be muzzled which just goes to show how ignorant they are are reguarding dog laws :eek:

opinion please...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

4. (1) Subject to sub-article (2), these Regulations shall apply to every:—
    ( a ) American Pit Bull Terrier,

( b ) Bulldog,

( c ) Bull Mastiff,

( d ) Dobermann Pinscher,

( e ) English Bull Terrier,

( f ) German Shepherd (Alsatian),

( g ) Japanese Akita,

( h ) Japanese Tosa,

( i ) Rhodesian Ridgeback,

( j ) Rottweiler and

( k ) Staffordshire Bull Terrier and

to every dog of the type commonly known as a Ban Dog (or Bandog) and to every other strain or cross of every breed or type of dog described in this article.

I'm afraid your subject to the same laws as the rest of us IMO. The bit of highlighted above says every strain or cross breed is affected and to me that includes you regardless whats on his papers. Cross breeds don't have papers and are subject to the law too. I have an American Akita. Yes, technically he's not listed but the Japanese Akita is and therefore he is included as he's a strain. Going on from that point, "Technically" there is no such thing as a Japanese or American akita anymore- they're known as the Japanese Akita Inu and the Akita. Can you imagine me being stopped and trying to argue with the gardaí about that? It doesn't matter and we could talk semantics all day about this. Just for the record, I hate that stupid fcukin law :mad: and I refuse to put a muzzle on my dog. I use a halti or similar head collar as it meets the laws requirements and he doesn't mind it all. The law doesnt say they have to wear a basket muzzle or anything like that.;)

Advertisement