Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uber fluffy kitty

Options
  • 06-06-2009 12:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

My cat Pat, is the sort of cat that the neighbour kids are afraid of. Its not the dogs they fear cos theyre all yipping little pocket monsters, its Pat....the bigger than average, really long haired psyco looking brute from the middle of the street. I dont blame them, hes not the sweetest natured cat having a few mental issues consisting of rage, greed and voilence. Hes like an 8th deadly sin on fouer legs. I didnt even know cats could be nuts until he camee to live with me. Soon found out, thats for sure! Mis-leading title thats for sure!

His hair is very long at the moment, making him even scarier, but also I have to brush it all the time and hes not what youd call fond of having a brush dragged over him every time hes at his food bowl, so Im going to get him shaved again. Ive had it done before and it was fuuny looking but he was alot quieter as well. I was going to rename him Samson but decided he had enough issues :)

It cost me €200 for check up and jabs and shave the last time. Hes not due a check up yet, so I was wondering if there are any cat groomers? Ive never heard of one. I know cats have to sedated for grooming so I thought that might be it - only vets can administer animal drugs right?

Anyone know one. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

The vets on the Cabra road in Dublin have a grooming parlour in it but I'm not sure if they groom cats. Heres their number. (01) 868 0119

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Mad Pat thanks you Lauragoesmad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

instead of having the poor cat sedated, try something like this:

http://images.google.ie/images?hl=en&q=grooming%20glove%20for%20cats&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ha ha Poor Mad Pat. Any chance of before and after pics???

Those look really good! I didnt even know they existed.

I have photos from the last time Seany - Ill find them and pop them up. He looks really gay in the shaved ones thought as she shaved him like a poodle. He was not impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Deepsense, what do you use to brush him?

Heres pre shave...I have a few more that show his actual girth somewhere. Ill root them out.

MAJD, I use a brush with wirey bits on one side and bristles on the other. The vet reccommended it so I bought it. I have a plastic thing that slips on your hand and you can stroke him like you were patting him and one last soft bristle brush. Hes better groomed than me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Good Lord he's large!

How bad does his coat get if he's not shaved?

He is. That was taken about a year and a half ago. Hes gotten fatter since. he eats a tin and a hlaf of whiskaw and a bowl of cat nuts to graze on. He wont eat anything but Whiskas and turns his nose up at Adli or KitiKat.

When I got him, he had been living in someones garden and was really ill so his coats was in bits. He had dioarreah and the next morning my kitchen was destroyed! I nearly fainted with disgust.

It gets really long and it then moults all over the place....I seem to be hoovering the stairs every second day. It falls out in clumps and he gets furballs from cleaning himself so frequently. Also, I think this is hard for him to be all the time cleaning himselfs.

Baldy photos on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Pat :D

• Advertisement

Its bizzare, but over time, it has evolved that when friends visit the house, they greet Pat like a dastardly arch enemy saying his name "Ppppaaaaaatttttttthhh"

He doesnt go out of his way to make friends like a normal cat, he cahsed my ex housemate round the garden - he took exception to her polka dot pjs was the nearest we could figure.I had a chinese girl come to view a room in the house once, she didnt make it past the front door, he went for her straighaway. She ran down the path screaming."Solly, solly...I don like caaaatttt" she squealed. Pat stopped halfway down the path and wandered back in looking like he was saying "No sweetie, Pat don like youuuuu!" That day, I felt the balance of power shift!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

omg, i have tears of laughter rolling down my face :D

no grooming advice but wow... fair deuce to you for taking on the psycho cat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I was wasting time on youtube on day :rolleyes: and came across a cat vid where the guy was using the cats fur to make toys (madness imo) and he was using a shedding blade to brush the cat. It seemed to be getting loads of fur off and the cat loved it so I thought it might be worth a try. I got one on ebay for our cat and he loves it and it makes grooming easier because it removes LOADS of fur. I looks dangerous like it's going to cut them but our guy dives on the floor to be brushed if you pick it up. This is the one we have.

Here's the vid so you can see it in action

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Any decent groomers won't need to sedate a cat to groom them. I would never, ever give one of my cats or dogs to someone that used sedatives.
    Four of mine are long haired - 3 I do myself. The 4th one, Max is bigger than a jrt & has the teeth & attitude to match.
    There is a fantastic groomer, Leonie, that does cats in the Canine country club in Kildare. She is truely amazing & does Max for me. I travel from Wicklow to her, there is nobody else I'd trust Max with. All the animals I've seen with her, including Max, just love her to bits. I cannot recommend her highly enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Corb

Ha ha Pat the legend! That's so funny, more Pat stories please! :D

Finally got the photos from my phone.

The first are of him fluffy. He lies in the sun on the floor spreadagled on is back most evenings. When you walk by you have to rub is belly otherwise he goes for your foot. Its like a toll you pay for safe passage.

Hes in the bad books at the moment. One of my neighbours was in to complain about him crouching under her hedge in wait for her and her kitten. He ran in through her cat flap after it and bet the stuffing out of her pudpud. I now have a €20 vets bill to pay as she took her to the vets cos he went after her so hard he left a spur in her side. Poor kittty. After I finish this post, Im looking up cat prozac. Hes done so much at this stage, I get asked are you Pats Mum - which is incredibly sad - but I live on a road of of about 40 houses and 35 of those are occupied by pensioners and this seems pretty normal to them - followed by an understanding look of sympathy or a tirade of abuse for his latest antics.

He has to date...off the top of my head...

Brought a dead magpie into my neighbours childs bedroom and dropped it into her cot....caught red handed. Frightened the life out of both mother and child.

Chased too many people to count...its pretty normal at this stage.

Hopped on the bus and ran riot.

Snuck into peoples house and stole food - hes very well fed - this is just pure greed and devilment.

Refused to get off neighbours bonnet time and time again. Rolled around and ran up to the roof and back down to the bonnet. Was like something out of a Laurel & Hardy film...v funny :)

Hiding in bushes adn hopping out at me when I come home - funny after the first time - the first time he done it scared the crap out of me.

Theres loads more. When people come to the door now, I assume theyre either trying to scam me for charity or to complain about Pat. Its usually the latter.

Ho well...I love him :)

The attachments icon wont work for me :( Does anyone have any suggestions?

Deepsense wrote: »
    Finally got the photos from my phone.

The first are of him fluffy. He lies in the sun on the floor spreadagled on is back most evenings. When you walk by you have to rub is belly otherwise he goes for your foot. Its like a toll you pay for safe passage.

Hes in the bad books at the moment. One of my neighbours was in to complain about him crouching under her hedge in wait for her and her kitten. He ran in through her cat flap after it and bet the stuffing out of her pudpud. I now have a €20 vets bill to pay as she took her to the vets cos he went after her so hard he left a spur in her side. Poor kittty. After I finish this post, Im looking up cat prozac. Hes done so much at this stage, I get asked are you Pats Mum - which is incredibly sad - but I live on a road of of about 40 houses and 35 of those are occupied by pensioners and this seems pretty normal to them - followed by an understanding look of sympathy or a tirade of abuse for his latest antics.

He has to date...off the top of my head...

Brought a dead magpie into my neighbours childs bedroom and dropped it into her cot....caught red handed. Frightened the life out of both mother and child.

Chased too many people to count...its pretty normal at this stage.

Hopped on the bus and ran riot.

Snuck into peoples house and stole food - hes very well fed - this is just pure greed and devilment.

Refused to get off neighbours bonnet time and time again. Rolled around and ran up to the roof and back down to the bonnet. Was like something out of a Laurel & Hardy film...v funny :)

Hiding in bushes adn hopping out at me when I come home - funny after the first time - the first time he done it scared the crap out of me.

Theres loads more. When people come to the door now, I assume theyre either trying to scam me for charity or to complain about Pat. Its usually the latter.

Ho well...I love him :)

The attachments icon wont work for me :( Does anyone have any suggestions?

Upload them to your album in your profile and link the pictures.
    He sounds like my kind of cat. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Pat is on my hero list!:D

Thanks Moonbaby :)

Ok - heres the link. He is a bit of a hero. :o

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/album.php?albumid=653

picture.php?albumid=653&pictureid=3303

I LOVE it! Bahhahaha!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Corb

Brilliant! :) Pat looks evil ha ha. Keep us up to date with what he gets up to, this thread has made me laugh so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Oh jaysus hahaha, I'm in stitches here, Pat sounds like a howl! Your posts are so funny! :D:D:D:D:D

Have you heard of the Furminator? The purple one is for cats- I have a yellow one for my dogs and it's a great yoke, removes the undercoat very well, you just have to be gentle using it. Here's a link- http://furminator.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭roweeeeena

Haha mine does that too, have embarrassed myself in front of the neighbours quite a few times by suddenly shrieking while walking up the driveway, they can't see him coz he's in the feckin hedge!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I think we should start a Mad Pat appreciation society.
    Did you ever consider a blog?
    I love the stories and understand, My dad has a 17yr old cat who in her younger days once jumped from the upstairs landing onto a visitors head:eek:
    Took about 15 mins to stop the bleeding!(all scalp wounds bleed like mad)
    She also attacked postman so many times he used to leave mail next door, and once chased my brothers best friends dog(large rottie, staff cross) 100 yards up the road. He squealed the whole way. One look from her made you give up your seat.
    I still would be careful even though she's nearly blind and very slow.
    But we all love her even with her craziness (although mostly from a distance);)
    Those pic's are fantastic, embrace the craziness.:P

Hhhhmm.......

...............Ppppaaaaaatttttttthhh

http://balkanpix.com/?s=3&i=143

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Hhhhmm.......

...............Ppppaaaaaatttttttthhh

http://balkanpix.com/?s=3&i=143

:D

Don't be foolish, he'll enact his revenge when you are asleep.

Its official...Pat has now been named as a local nusiance at the residents coomittee meeting. I dont know whether to be proud or move.:o Ive put up a thread in the accommodation forum detailing how.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I have a cat like him around the same size and all I have to admit I never had her shaved... thankfully she looses a lot of it during the summer and a good brushing sorts her out. She is a bad ass though, killed her second mink today and left it as a present at the door.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Deepsense- with no disrespect whatsover intended- your cat sounds like a complete and utter psychopath..... I've had my share of abnormal and strange behaviour from a wide range of animals in the past- but nothing compares to your cat.

I'd almost suggest bringing it to training school- but its a completely useless suggestion.

From previous cats- I found putting a little olive oil in their nuts helpful for their coats (about a tea spoon- no more) (but a tin and a half of Whiskas along with nuts on a daily basis seems to be a shocking amount of food for a cat........)

To be honest- I'd almost suggest having a word with friends from back home and see if any of them are willing to give this cat a new territory to terrorise- of a slightly less urban nature?

• Advertisement

From previous cats- I found putting a little olive oil in their nuts helpful for their coats (about a tea spoon- no more) (but a tin and a half of Whiskas along with nuts on a daily basis seems to be a shocking amount of food for a cat........)

Hes a hairy pig! he scoffs it all up. I put a tin out in the morning with his nuts to do him through the day and then when I come home its half and tin and a few snacks like anchovies - I have a big catering jar...he goes mental fro them. He gets really narky if hes not fed.

Im seriously thinking about cat prozac. Ive been presented with a list from the resident committee of his misdeeds - Im going to frame it and hang it inside my front door. He snuck into a neighbours house the other day and fell asleep under her bed then hopped onto her bed in the middle of the night and scared the holy crap out of her. She was furious! Another neighbour found him sat in her handbag in her kitchen.

I couldnt part with him tbh. He provides me with so much entertainment and I know he wouldnt be happy anywhere else but with me. Hes just messed in the head. :pac:

Advertisement