Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paramiltary support in n.i

Options
  • 06-06-2009 1:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭

what were the figures for membership for each of the groups from 69 onwards?

or anytime really

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

what were the figures for membership for each of the groups from 69 onwards?

or anytime really

thanks
    Hard to know. In the early 70's I once remeber the Provisionals had around 2,000 volunteers, don't know what it was for the stickies ( Offical IRA/ Workers Party, Prionais De Rossa, Pat Rabbite's old friends ) I believe the Provisionals used to keep their numbers to 800/900 through the late 80's into the 90's. They didn't see a need for greater, though their membership would have been much higher during the hunger strikes in 1981 as their was a possibility of an August 1969 situation erupting.

As for the loyalists, well brit military intelligence and RUC special branch would know their exact numbers since they recruited, armed and directed them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

thats a very low figure - must have had huge support in the communities and have been very good guerillla fighters

know of any good books on the period?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

info on de rossa and the ira?

Advertisement