Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long do you spend on making a track?

Options
  • 06-06-2009 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

On average how long do you spend producing a track?

For me it varies, but anywhere between 1 - 5 hours at the most, ive always had people telling me that i should spend a few days making tracks, perhaps even weeks.

I find though that my 21st century attention span cant handle that, once ive got a track started i have the urge to finish it there and then. Sometimes if i try to come back to a track it feels like the moment of inspiration is gone and its time to move onto the next idea.

What works for you guys (and girls, although i extremely doubt there is any reading)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

anywhere between 1 day and 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

jtsuited wrote: »
    anywhere between 1 day and 5 days.

do you focus soley on that track for those days or do you work on other things at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

focus solely on the 1 track. tried multitasking before but I just ended up with a lot of decidedly average tracks and a ridiculous amount of unfinished ones.

I'm a little bit extreme though. I regularly do 16 hour sessions. I once did a 38 hour session. The result was telegraphs part 1,2 and 3.
    I work very fast too compared to most people.

When you only have 1 thing to focus on, it pushes you. My problem is I rush a little coming towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

yep is say about 1 to 5 days too if i can get the time.sometimes longer though.
    focusing solely on one track too for the most part.
    i get very impateient though towards the end though and it clouds my judgement.
    instead of stepping back and taking a break i plough on ahead.
    once i decide im finished a song its very hard for me to go back to it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

My biggest problem is getting fixated on one specific loop, so much so that I end up losing the original idea and it all desends into utter bollacks.

Quite annoying and I end up with lots of very little unfinished tracks and lots of different ideas instead. Ah well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

I can spend anything from a few days to a few years ;) - probably a bad thing, but the originals really sucked. I tend to recycle everything i've ever written with new gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Yeah.. Its been a long raging war so far.. Still ongoing.

They are never really finished. Some more so than others.

But I have found that I am a lot more focused on what I want since I've turned off the loop.

I'll get the 8/16 bars going, then turn of the loop & start making the structure. If its not on the Sequencer page, it doesnt get played.

I find it a good way of getting the beginning, middle & end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i used to take a lot less time, then i pretty much stopped making tracks for 18 months and came back to it recently. rather than starting on a 16 bar loop ive started to build a track from the beginning right through to the end

for me this means that by the time im really getting stuck into the meat of it, my brain is 100% in track making mode. when i used to just jump straight in i could never really get past an 8 or 16 bar loop, and it drove me bonkers

eh, yeh, so long story short it used to be about 5 hours, now its about five 5 hour sessions

Advertisement