Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics LC 2009 (H + O)

Options
  • 05-06-2009 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

Surprised theres no thread for it.

Anyway, im doing O level and got a B in the mocks, but do you think this will be harder? is there a very good chance that classical economists and that type of stuff will come up?

Also, same for oligopoly? I haven't studied it in ages and dont really want to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

Oh
    I've no idea what to expect for Economics!
    I reckon you're really just better off knowing History of Economics because it's a pity to waste marks on easy theory. It's just getting there that sucks.

And yes, I'd be paranoid to leave out Oligopoly!
    It's just the graph thats the scary thing! The theory is actually fine and you can't really compare it to other market structures as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

snazzy wrote: »
    Oh
    I've no idea what to expect for Economics!
    I reckon you're really just better off knowing History of Economics because it's a pity to waste marks on easy theory. It's just getting there that sucks.

And yes, I'd be paranoid to leave out Oligopoly!
    It's just the graph thats the scary thing! The theory is actually fine and you can't really compare it to other market structures as much.

I'm not sure about pass but for honours u need to know oligopoly and imperfect comp as one is bound to come up...

The mrkts are pretty easy to learn... It's jus a lil boring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 David McArdle

Hi
    I did OL Economics in 2008. I dropped down on the day and I knew i would. I briefly looked over oligopoly, but not in great detail. The reason being, is that Oligopoly has never come up before and i believe it isnt on the OL course. I asked my teacher last year does it come up, and he said no, only for HL.
    So last year Monopoly came up, which was a blessing for me, so either Perfect Comp, or Imperfect comp are more than likely to come up.!

Remember this is only one question.!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Lads and lassies I wish you the best of luck in this exam. I found it one of the toughest papers I did in my LC (2007).

I'm not altogether sure about OL but for HL I studied virtually anything I could.

It is a big enough course and it's one I didn't particularly enjoy. Maybe it was down to the teacher I had.

I managed to scrape a pass in it.

It is a very doable paper if you're in the right state of mind for it. A lot of common sense really does go a long way with some of the questions.

I'm just looking over my LC exam papers now and I'm now feeling that I knew I could have answered some things a lot better.

Best of luck in it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭GVNDNN

I'm dreading this paper :(

I could never get into it...
    I have gone over and over the same material but it just doesn't stick

Any tips?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Hey all,

Just to say if any of you have any specific questions feel free to ask for help on the Economics forum. We're usually pretty quick to help.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭CarefulNow

Hey does anyone have any predictions for the HL paper? I really need a C3 or higher. I've a week to study for it now so hopefully i'll make good use of the time :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 george.

Im hoping for questions on:

-markets: oligopoly &/or imperfect
    -factors: capital & land
    -tax & fiscal policy
    -costs & elasticity

these qs came up in the DEB and examcraft mocks i'm pretty sure, so hopefully they'll come up on the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

hope there's an elasticity question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Saul-Good

Economics is a sinking ship for me I just want to get as far away from it as soon as I can.

I'm focusing on Micro-Economics in the week I have off now as it's a small enough section in comparison to Macro and 3-4 question come up on it every year in Higher level, I'd suggest this as a study guide for anyone who feels unsure about it like me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

I'd say something on the banking system and the current economic climate has over 9000% chance of coming up.
    I gotta say, I had the greatest economics teacher ever. He shoved the stuff down your throat, but because of that, I can remember most of the course right now despite the fact I haven't opened my economics book in 2 months. ^^
    Anyway, elasticity too could come up.
    A question about the budget, unemployment, land? I don't really know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Saul-Good

They really could take so many angles for an economic slow down question. Inflation, demand, banking credit creation, demand for labour they could bend anything around the general topic of recession when you think about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

Yeh, I'd be positive a general 'how did the banking systen implode' question will come up, aswell as 'what could irish gov do to tackle unemplyment/recession'
    Topical stuff is always popular

Part from that, economics seems very unpredicatable:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Hey all,

Just to say if any of you have any specific questions feel free to ask for help on the Economics forum. We're usually pretty quick to help.

Good luck.
    Might take you up on that. Cheers!

I've been looking forward to this exam for so long and that's not even because it's my last! Economics > Sex.

Going on a six day binge now, a bit of micro, a bit of macro, a bit of JMK, hmmmm

"Outline five ways in which the Irish government has f*cked up your future by their handling of the current economic situation." (30 Marks)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

Anyone have current figures, and also... how to use them?
    Attempting to teach myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 stylee

MrPirate wrote: »
    "Outline five ways in which the Irish government has f*cked up your future by their handling of the current economic situation." (30 Marks)

haha...good one:)

http://www.cso.ie/
    Everything involving stats/figure is up on there. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

What kind of figures are you looking for? Inflation? GDP? GNP? et cetera...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

You have been appointed Minister for finance.
    Draft an economy saving government budget. 75 marks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Mallox

didn see a thread so thought id start one ... so wat ye doin for it .. ive all micro prepared and national income as a back up hoping that will be enuf

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

There is one mallox you didn't look very far!!

There is one mallox you didn't look very far!!
    oh ....

:mad:

english4490 we meet again .. my sworn rival on boards .. wat do you want this time ...

i get the feeling alot of ppl really dont like economics :eek::eek:
    i love this subject .. its one of the shortest courses in the leaving cert and you have a choice of 8 questions to do 4 how bad like!!!
    most of my class will be aiming for As in this ..

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭GVNDNN

I really don't like Economics

But hey we have 5 days,
    It's very achievable to do very well if your struggling atm!

:D

Plus
    http://economicshelp.org

It's an english wenbsite but it's very good :cool:
    Also the 2fm economics notes are good

Good luck everybody

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

I think economics is just one of those subjects you either get or you don't!
    luckily for me I get it, but havn't looked at it in bout a month so i really have to get to work!
    i'd say learn how banks create credit, and why they shouldn't create too much, because thats pretty topical nowadays!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

um, I always found economics to be an easy course. The Exam is so predictable. Basically imperfect comp. will probably come up if not for a huge surprise which would be in the oligopoly form, National Income always comes up. Capital will probably come up although it may be linked in with land. There will be a few more questions on things like employment etc. but basically just look at the patterns from the last few years because the course just constantly repeats itself.

Forgot to say that supply and demand always come up in some shape or form

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I love economics, only got a C in the mocks, but I'm planning on learning loads of **** before wednesday. what should I look at goys? my teacher said it's easier to get marks on micro cos once you know it you know it, macro can be a bit iffy sometimes, obviously I'm not going to do just macro or micro but I'm going to do more of one of them, thing is I think I prefer macro. what's everyone else doing more of?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I love economics, only got a C in the mocks, but I'm planning on learning loads of **** before wednesday. what should I look at goys? my teacher said it's easier to get marks on micro cos once you know it you know it, macro can be a bit iffy sometimes, obviously I'm not going to do just macro or micro but I'm going to do more of one of them, thing is I think I prefer macro. what's everyone else doing more of?

well basically micro is like graphs and explaining things with a concrete marking scheme which rewards correctness but the macro marking scheme is a lot more general and harder to award marks on. If you do nothing else in micro, do supply and demand, imperfect comp. and capital/land. you'd be grand then learn a bit of macro and your sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Rob!

JSK 252 wrote: »
    You have been appointed Minister for finance.
    Draft an economy saving government budget. 75 marks.

You know they'd totally capitalize upon our ideas!:p

Did you ever notice whilst studying economics over the past 2 yrs you could point out straight away errors in the government ideas to fill the budget deficit?

Its kinda sad just how beneficial the basic principals of a second level economics book could be to our political figures - also shows you how ridiculously unqualified they are to be in a position to dictate the financial running of a nation........

Advertisement