Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return to the moon(sort of!!).

Options
  • 05-06-2009 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭

Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere here,NASA are sending a mission up to recon the moon for possible ice/water sources for a future bases there but more interestingly(imo.) they'll be surveying the Apollo sites and remaining hardware as well as U.S/Soviet robot craft that went AWOL.

Here's the story:http://www.spaceflightnow.com/atlas/av020/090521imaging.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I've been following this for quite some time but never thought to make a post about it here. I don't know why it hasn't received much media attention either. For me, it's highly important and is a clear indication that NASA and the US gov. are sticking to their plan to have a base on the moon by 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 NickFromTipp

In fairness to the media. There is a few satellites already surveying the moon for other countries. Up until recently there was a japanese one (Kaguya), indian (Chandraayan), and Chinese one in orbit (no idea of the name). The Japanese satellite in particular is very advanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

21st century land grab. Helium 3 is what their after, or so I've heard. So many nations going their own route, flags in hand...

One of the sats is doing a HD scan of the surface, it is thought that the lunar landing sites will be visable... Google moon anyone:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Check out this TED vid to see how moon missions have captured the imagination of the modern explorers. (Specifically moon related from 10:45)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 NickFromTipp

Kevster wrote: »
    the US gov. are sticking to their plan to have a base on the moon by 2020.

This is a tricky one. At the moment, congress are trying to reduce the (increased) budget allocation for NASA over the next few years. At their current rate, I don't think they'll make the moon by 2020. They haven't started work on the new heavy lifter (Ares 5) and from what I gather, there may be some bad vibration problems with the new crew launcher (Ares 1). Hopefully they can sort out the probs. Think it's gonna need lotsa $$$s

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Kevster wrote: »
    I've been following this for quite some time but never thought to make a post about it here. I don't know why it hasn't received much media attention either. For me, it's highly important and is a clear indication that NASA and the US gov. are sticking to their plan to have a base on the moon by 2020.

Media attention for something as trivial as a moon base? Come on! It's far more important to report on Beyonce needing a transport to cross a street than it is to learn about anything that we could learn from.
    /sarcasm.

Advertisement