Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feuding tenants

Options
  • 05-06-2009 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, maybe you can give me some Advice: I am a first time landlord and have no idea how things work.

I have two tenants in a 2 bedroom flat. Tenant A has been living there for 2 years, and tenant B for one year. They have seperate contracts to rent a room each and share kithchen/living room (they have seperate bathrooms).
    When we were looking for Tenant B we (I and tenant A) advertised the room to let, not specifying couple or non couple. Tenant A expressed a preference for a non-couple. Tenant B came along, he was moving in alone. He said he had a girlfriend travelling, that she might stay over for a few weeks some time in the future. We both said that was no problem but it was clear to us (tenant A and I) that he was moving in as a single person (same rent as tenant A).

All was fine for a year, until recently. Tenant B has a new girlfrend and she stays over quite a bit. Tenant A says he never agreed to this and is afraid she will move in. He says she stayed over 4 nights last week. Tenant B says they are not living together, and that tenant A is being unreasonable. Tenant A wants to put down a rule that the girlfriend cannot stay over more than 3 times a week. Tenant B refuses this (he says she might stay over 4 nights one week and none the next). Both want to stay in the property, but A says he has more rights than B. B says A is being unreasonable and A can leave if he wants. I prefer neither to leave. I have just been trying to mediate between the two, I have asked A to be more flexible and B to be more respectful of A etc.

I hope the mediation works, but what if it doesn't? Who has more rights? Can I kick one out over the other?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The room was let on the basis of there being one user.

Ask Tenant A if he would accept a change in the rent structure (say 60:40 instead of 50:50). If he is agreeable, put it to Tenant B that either he pays more or the girlfriend stays less. Consideration also needs to be made of bills. The alternative is that B moves out, seeing as B is the one trying to unilaterally change things.

Note that you may be legally restricted to one change in the rent per year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Victor wrote: »
    The room was let on the basis of there being one user.

Ask Tenant A if he would accept a change in the rent structure (say 60:40 instead of 50:50). If he is agreeable, put it to Tenant B that either he pays more or the girlfriend stays less. Consideration also needs to be made of bills. The alternative is that B moves out, seeing as B is the one trying to unilaterally change things.

Note that you may be legally restricted to one change in the rent per year.

Thanks for the reply. We discussed B paying more rent, infact he offered it. A says he is not happy with that, he is just uncomfortable living with a couple....B argues that she is not living there, she has her own place but she should be free to come over when she wants. We are all off on holidays soon and have agreed that tenants will try to work things out and respect each other etc etc....but we have agreed to meet again in August and see how things are going. If things are still the same do I have any rights in asking B to move out?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

menoscemo wrote: »
    If things are still the same do I have any rights in asking B to move out?
    I would imagine so. Either he moderates the number and amount of time of visitors or he is in breach of what was agreed. You would need to give him notice.

Living with a couple is more onerous than living with one (or even two) people. Spending 4 nights in a week in a residnece, is living there.

Victor wrote: »
    I would imagine so. Either he moderates the number and amount of time of visitors or he is in breach of what was agreed. You would need to give him notice.

Living with a couple is more onerous than living with one (or even two) people. Spending 4 nights in a week in a residnece, is living there.

Thanks again, the 4 nights a week was last week. I have asked A to consider it over a longer period of time than a single week, though he says the number of visits have been increasing. B promises to take A's feelings into consideration. I personally can't see it working out though so just want to see where I would stand....If one moves out I would have to move back in to he other room (given the current climate), and TBH I would prefer to move back in with A, but at the same stage I want to be fair.

If anyone else has any other opinions or advice they would be much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Tenant A is your long term tenant and I think you are not being fair to him, especially when he made it clear that he does not want to share with a couple.

Obviously tenant B is allowed a girlfriend but the very fact she is staying there 4 nights in ANY week is taking the piss. She might as well rent a B&B or hostel for the week and let tenant B stay over with her.

When I went room-hunting I specifically searched for houses that didn't have couples. Couples take over living rooms, run up higher bills, and generally can make people feel like they are intruding. One of the guys I rent with was reduced to 3 day weeks some weeks so he might only be there 2 days.. he still pays full rent!

Offer tenant A a rent reduction and B a rent increase. If both accept the new terms, you've reached a solution. If A is still not happy you will just have to show B the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I agree, staying 4 nights a week is taking the piss completely, more than one night a week on average is too much imho. Tenant A probably feels like a guest in his own gaff, thats not really on considering he is there longer than tenant B.
    Tbh I'd considerably up B's rent in the hope he would move out and find a place more suitable for him and his g/f.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Supercell wrote: »

more than one night a week on average is too much imho

I'd stay with my gf a couple of times a week (not 4 nights!) and I wouldnt consider it excessive but that maybe because she would spend the same with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I think victor's right, if this continues she is effectively living there as she could be staying in future Monday to Thursday night and then spending Friday-Sunday at home down the country somewhere for the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭catch88

If I was tenant A and had specifically asked for a non-couple and then B moved in on that basis only to later start having his girlfriend stay over 4 nights a week id be seriously annoyed. Any more than 2 nights a week is seriously taking the piss. A didn't agree to live with B and his girlfriend. Besides a 3rd person is surely going to cost a little more bills wise irrespective of how many nights they stay.

Time for B to move into a new gaff with his girlfriend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I agree. If I was tenant A I would be peeved. As someone who's rented with people who've found themselves in relationships from time to time I know how he feels. A couple in the place changes the dynamic. Couples do take over kitchens, living rooms, they can be noisy (yes, the sound of the s€xing does travel through walls :mad:) and cost more money if the likes of washing machines, extra cooking and showers comes into play. If the gf is staying over as much as she is, she has in effect moved in.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies guys. I kind of felt what you were all saying is correct, just needed it confirmed. B says he doesn't consider he is living with his girlfirend as she rents her own place too. B offered to pay more rent but A doesn't want that.
    B goes off on holiday for a month in 10 days. A has agreed to give it a few weeks when he comes back and then we will meet again. If things are still the same, it looks like I will have to ask B to agree to new rules or move out.

Advertisement