Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Politics and International relations!

Options
  • 05-06-2009 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

ok i am after putting this course down on my cao, just wondering is ther anyone out there who is doing this course? i realise its only a new course so info aint to easy to get on it! any info at all would be appreciated!

thanks!!;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

anyone?? anyone who took any of the modules on this course, politics or hpss or public admin students?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

You waited less than 24 hours. Give people time and if you're in luck, someone will get back to you. This isn't a call centre for wannabe UL students you know...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

klong wrote: »
    You waited less than 24 hours. Give people time and if you're in luck, someone will get back to you. This isn't a call centre for wannabe UL students you know...

Jesus, give the guy a break. He's just looking for some info. No need to snap at him/her.

Hey english4490. I've not done this course or the other ones you refer to. I am however doing the MA in International Studies in UL. Well, I've finished classes and am working on my dissertation atm.

There seems to be a fair bit of overlap between some of the subject areas such as international realtions and general international politics. I must say that my MA is excellent and I have really enjoyed the year and the area of study. The faculty are excellent, friendly and helpful. The subject area is very interesting. I particularly like international relations theory which it seems will be part of your course. Areas such as international organisation and governance, IR, EU & European integration, Russian politics and development would probably be similar to modules in my course too. I didn't do all of these but from what I've heard most of them are also very good.

Sorry if this isn't very helpful but having looked at the course outline it certainly looks interesting.

klong wrote: »
    well i have less than 3 weeks to finalise my cao so it is quiet urgent. good thing i know must UL students aint as rude as you!:eek:
    joking!

The Saint wrote: »
    Jesus, give the guy a break. He's just looking for some info. No need to snap at him/her.

Hey english4490. I've not done this course or the other ones you refer to. I am however doing the MA in International Studies in UL. Well, I've finished classes and am working on my dissertation atm.

There seems to be a fair bit of overlap between some of the subject areas such as international realtions and general international politics. I must say that my MA is excellent and I have really enjoyed the year and the area of study. The faculty are excellent, friendly and helpful. The subject area is very interesting. I particularly like international relations theory which it seems will be part of your course. Areas such as international organisation and governance, IR, EU & European integration, Russian politics and development would probably be similar to modules in my course too. I didn't do all of these but from what I've heard most of them are also very good.

Sorry if this isn't very helpful but having looked at the course outline it certainly looks interesting.
    its a guy by the way! thanks very much for all that!! sounds really interesting and its nice to hear what someone in the faculty thinks of it! can i ask do you find it challenging? and if you dont mind we asking what area would you like to get into after you graduate? oh and was your undergraduate in a related field?! thanks!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

its a guy by the way! thanks very much for all that!! sounds really interesting and its nice to hear what someone in the faculty thinks of it! can i ask do you find it challenging? and if you dont mind we asking what area would you like to get into after you graduate? oh and was your undergraduate in a related field?! thanks!!

No worries. I'm not on the faculty by the way. I was just saying that most of those in the faculty are really good from my experience. I suppose in a MA course with few people you have more interaction and have more of a realtionship with them than you would as an undergrad.

It can be quite challenging but doing an MA is probably more intensive and deadlines can creep up. I suppose like anything, if you're interesting in the subject you'll find it easier than if you hate it. My undergrad was in a similar political science field. I did not do it in UL though.

As for what I area I'd like to get into; well if you can give me any advice let me know. :p I should start sending around CV's soon though. It'll probably be unpaid internships abroad or something like that but competition for those can be quite intense. I'm also toying with the idea of doing a Phd but I'm going to finish this thing before I commit to anything.

Plus, I don't know if you know UL at all but it's a great place and the campus is excellent, although it's dead now during the summer. :(

The Saint wrote: »
    No worries. I'm not on the faculty by the way. I was just saying that most of those in the faculty are really good from my experience. I suppose in a MA course with few people you have more interaction and have more of a realtionship with them than you would as an undergrad.

It can be quite challenging but doing an MA is probably more intensive and deadlines can creep up. I suppose like anything, if you're interesting in the subject you'll find it easier than if you hate it. My undergrad was in a similar political science field. I did not do it in UL though.

As for what I area I'd like to get into; well if you can give me any advice let me know. :p I should start sending around CV's soon though. It'll probably be unpaid internships abroad or something like that but competition for those can be quite intense. I'm also toying with the idea of doing a Phd but I'm going to finish this thing before I commit to anything.

Plus, I don't know if you know UL at all but it's a great place and the campus is excellent, although it's dead now during the summer. :(
    thanks for all that! i got into my head that i would like to work with the dept. of foreign affairs and try get a job as a third secretary and work my way up! just a thought i had!! so thats why i am considering this course! ya i live about 25 miles from campus so i know it well from been in there for events/concerts/ arena etc!

thanks for all that anyway! and best of luck with the job hunting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 djlor

Anyone who has done the new Politics and International Relations course in past few years? Strongly considering it for my first choice, but unsure how enjoyable and useful a course it is! What are the hours like, is there genuine future employment available from it, and does it allow entry into many Post-Grad courses? A brief summary of how you've found it so far would be greatly appreciated!

I'm Desperate!

Cheers..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Hi, while I wont be as rude as Klong was in his response to a similar thread, [only joking Klong :) ], it wouldnt take much to have a look at the first page here on the UL forum which already has a thread about this topic :(:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055584416
    Its not that hard to miss, its only about 10 threads below this one!!
    Please read it as it has some useful info there.

Merge threads mods?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Mossin wrote: »

Merge threads mods?

Done and done :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement