Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affiliate marketing help

Options
  • 05-06-2009 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just a quick question, im completely new to the whole web hosting domain name stuff and im about to try my hand at affiliate marketing, i know its very tough and i have no experience but im just going to try build a niche website and try earn some money (however small) from it!

So, my question: am i not able to register a .IE domain name for this without a lot of hassle??

For example, and excuse the ignorance, but my plan was to register a domain name such as www.adidas.ie (1st thing that came to mind) and have a page or two on say tracksuits and try link to merchants from that page. So i think i have the concept right but am i entitled to register a domain such as www.adidas.com (note: im not actaully trying to register that particular name, this is just an example, but the idea i had was a similarly popular name in a much more niche market).

Thanks for any help and as i said, go easy because its all new to me! :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Thanks Raymond,

Also, if i wanted a new catchy .IE name such as trackieheaven.ie, again an example, ie a completely unique name, what should i apply for the domain name under?? Assuming it was going to be a site indended for making some money through affililiate marketing. Should i register it as a business first or can i register it as a "discretionary name" in which case i need to send a letter with my claim to the domain?? what should i do here??

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Gerry81

I wouldn.t worry too much about egistering it as a business as surely anything offered for sale on the site willbe through an affiliate link so all transactions will tke place on the vendors site.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭gypsy777

To be honest I wouldnt worry about registering a .ie (its expensive).
    Get yourself a .com first and start learning the ropes. Its not the domain name that will make you a success with affiliate marketing...its your ability to drive targetted traffic.
    I can guarantee you your first efforts will be unsuccessful (its a steep learning curve) so keep costs low to begin with. That would be my advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 GoldenGoose

Hi king-stew,

Why are you set on a .ie suffix. You will be promoting vendors from other countries presumably. As gypsy777 says it is more expensive and unless you aim to target an irish audience in particular it will limit you in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Be careful registering a domain name with a trademark in it. As in your example adidas would probably have the right to take the domain off you at anytime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Be careful registering a domain name with a trademark in it. As in your example adidas would probably have the right to take the domain off you at anytime.

Yes this is correct - Big corporate companies like Adidas etc wil have their lawyers after you straight away if you register their trademark or something very similar to their trademark. I once registered thedermalogicastore.com and had Lawyers from Dermalogica onto me within two weeks for breach of copyright and trademark. I had to hand the domain name ownership over to them.

Affiliate marketing is a tough game to compete in. The trick is to get a niche market and work on getting that listing high in Google. Also when choosing your niche market remember does the affiliate deliver to ireland, shipping costs etc. There are loads of articles on the web though - The key to making any decent money is to have 10-20 sites and not 1 site.

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

Ah you couldnt even get as far as registering a trade marked name like Adidas. To register a .ie domain you need to have a valid business name registered or a company formed.

For affiliate marketing your best registering domains with generic key words rather than brands. Although i do see benefit in certain circumstances to having a .ie domain over a .com depending on strategy.

Advertisement