Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very Difficult Decision...

Options
  • 05-06-2009 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

I have 2 lovely cats, they are best of mates, he is 2, and she is 1.
    I really love both cats, like my own kids….

But, getting the cats were my wife’s idea….

Now, I have come in a crossroad in my life… and must make a very difficult decision.

But let you tell you why…

I was happily married, until I caught my wife in bed with another man…
    She left, and wants nothing to do with the cats.

Needless to say, we are separated now, but, as I must move, at the end of the month, I can’t take them with me…
    So what do I do with them…

I really believe a pet is for life; our family cat growing up was 16 years old when she died…

So I have 2 weeks to decide, as I cant afford the place I am staying now, and must move, and I looked at a few places already, but none of them will allow cats. ( well the places I can afford anyway)

Is there anybody out there that wants to adopt my 2 kids…. With toys , baskets, etc…

Please tell me what the hell to do ???

Dont have Family in Ireland, or friends that can take them....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

I'm so sorry for your troubles of late!
    There's no way family or friends can take them for you?
    I know alot of people have successfully rehomed their pets here.

Try posting this as well in the lost and found thread at the top of this forum with a bit of info as to age/sex/neutered/chipped etc..
    And if you have pics you can add in all the better.

The best of luck with trying to rehome them it really does sound like this is a very hard thing for you to do :(

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

i've always found moving in without mentioning the cat's to be the best course of action myself ;)

i was refused a few places on the grounds of my cat so i simply stopped telling them unless i was asked.

cats don't do any damage so if they find out once you've moved in you can just point out 'look around, they haven't done any damage and if they do you have my deposit to cover it'. if they didn't ask before taking your deposit they have no legal grounds to evict you, evicting a tenant is tricky anyway, probably wouldn't be worth the hassle once you were already in and paying rent regularily.

i'm so sorry for the ****ty time you've been having, i really hope you can keep your cats as at least they'll help you get through it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

Jees Caveman. Sorry for your troubles. TBH it sounds like you've enough to be coping with at the moment. Try the ISPCA, they may be able to take them.
    Hope everything works out ok for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 CyberGimp109

ive had hamsters fish a lizard and mice in 3 different houses(not all at the same time), each time signing a contract that says no pets.. prettymuch all contracts now have it on there just incase of trouble, ive never had anything said. just aslong as they dont damage the house you should be grand, do you/will you have inspections? cause if not then imo theres no problem atall. even if you do ive had them just hide them maybe not with a cat but could you have a frienbd just bring them to their house for a few hours anyway if youre wanting to keep them id say keep them,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Sorry for the troubles. At least ya got to keep the cats though. I would do what others have said. Just bring the cats anyways. All ya have to do is say ya seen em out the garden and fed them, now they wont go away. Just tell the landlord that your starting to like your "newly found" cats. Hope ya get to keep em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Caveman, I don't think it will be as bad as you think. I rented for a while with 2 cats and it was the second place I looked at which allowed it. I was honest about it. Told them I wanted the place but couldn't take it unless they accepted cats. Although in saying that, unless it says on your lease "No Pets" the can't kick you out for bringing them. So the choice of mentioning it is up to you. :)

Just be careful if you are going into a newer estate or apts. Anywhere with a management company can be trouble. If it says that there are to be no pets in their T&C's then this is automatically part of your contract with the landlord. Most people ignore this in the management companies contracts but it could cause problems if the landlord decides he wants you out. (<- speaking from experience)

AFAIR There is a website which allows you to search based on certain criteria, one of which being "pets allowed". I can't remember the name of it, but if you're interested, let me know and I'll do a search. (EDIT: Sorry if they all allow that now, when I was renting there was only 1 pretty obscure website that allowed you to search with pets as a search option)

Renting with pets can be difficult, but worth it. Sorry to hear of all your recent troubles. Here's hoping you and your kitties find the perfect place to make a new start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

Hi Caveman, as PinkTulips said don't mention a thing about the cats to your new landlord, cats don't make noise unlike dogs therefore neighbours would never know.

Just make sure you cover easily damaged items like a leather couch which is what we did and its fine.

Your landlord would never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭FunkyMissMonkey

Search on Daft.ie - in the Advanced search there's a Pets Allowed tickbox. There's generally a few places on there that allow pets.

The other alternative is to find an unfurnished place, landlords tend to be a bit more lenient when there's none of their stuff in the house. Alternatively offer a little more on the deposit in case any damage is done (which generally won't happen anyway!)

I've 4 cats myself, and I rent, and I've managed to find places no problem. It's just a question of looking carefully, and doing a bit of bargaining! :D

Good luck, and I hope you manage to keep your cats with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

I agree with everyone else here....say nothing about the cats to the landlord.

We rented a house in Lucan for a year and it was the same story- no pets allowed.

Little did they know we had 2 cavalier king charles! Every 3 months the agency used to come out and do an inspection so they had to ring and give 2 or 3 days notice first. We just removed all trace of the dogs, gave them to a friend to mind for a few hours while they inspected the house and then took them home when the agency left. No hassle at all. We just made sure that there were absolutely no traces of them in the house and all was good.

Sorry to hear about the horrible time your having but this is a small problem so try not to worry about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭TheCaveman

Thanks for all the reply's

I have like 2 more weeks to decide, sleepless nights i tell you...

Problem is i probarly will have to go for a 1 bed apartment,

and the ones i looked at is soooo small, will take a lot of adjusting....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭roweeeeena

If it's merely the fact that cats appear to not be allowed in the property then don't worry about it, the majority of leases have a no pets clause automatically included within a generic lease, so unless you are specifically told that you are not allowed pets, or it is mentioned again in the special conditions area of the lease then it shouldn't be a problem.

If it's the fact that the cats will be moving into a much smaller space than before, then remember that cats can adjust well to living indoors only once you provide lots of stimulation like toys, a high cat tree etc. The fact that there are two of them and they get on well will majorly help, also the fact that will be staying with you.

If you decide to rehome them, then try the SPCA or other animal shelters, or post their details here on the homes needed thread. I'm sure others will point you towards rescues who might take them on.

Sorry that you have this additional worry about your cats on top of the rest that you are going through but hopefully we can help lessen the stress a bit! :)

I just wish I could rehome them for a few months, and not wory about them for a while.

As i wish they could go to a nice home out there

As, I live in South Dublin, and as with all this sh*t happening, I would like to move closer to work, and not commute more than I am now.

dont know how to explain it, but, wish i could send them away on holiday, and they can come back when I am ready to take care of them fully again.
    I know that is not possible....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Try posting on http://petsireland.invisionzone.com/ You might find someone willing to long-term foster.

thanks, will look into it...

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭HereticPrincess

If your cats are calm enough you can try moving without mentioning it to a landlord.
    I'm sure they won't be randomly calling by, & besides you could always put them in a room, I doubt the landlord would go looking in your room.

Best of luck, hope it works out for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 onthemove

I think fostering is probably the best idea or ring up ur ex and tell her to look after them as it was her idea to get them,just untill you get something sorted.

Well technically she got the first cat, and I got the second one…

And, she is out of the country till end of July, so not an option…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 onthemove

maybe you could find a really cheap cattery?:confused:or take them with you i had three in my old house nobody ever told my landlord

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

onthemove wrote: »
    maybe you could find a really cheap cattery?:confused:or take them with you i had three in my old house nobody ever told my landlord
    do you have your cats insured? if so the insurance will pay for a cattery while you look for new homes

Advertisement