Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vocal Samples

Options
  • 05-06-2009 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Folks just wondering where you guys get your vocal samples from for using on your tracks. I've used iTunes U recently to get some great snippets (historic speeches, lectures etc) but are there any better sources?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

itunes U....
    would have never thought of it. nice one.

ps. i never use vocal samples because i can never find any good ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭franklyshocked

It depends on the quality of the recording but for legal reasons it can be best that if you are grabbing a sample its from the most obscure source you can find.
    Always catalogue your source. If the track ever gets picked up you will need to have the sample cleared if possible, but it can be re-recorded by a voice actor if all else fails.
    For example, the early white label copies of classic house track "Trouble with me - Black Legend" was a barry white sample. The vocal on the copy that was released on the data label was a vocalist from the UK, but you'd barely tell the difference.

I'll grab the odd sample from youtube, I don't really mind the sound quality if I'm messing around with something. Vocal samples these days are so chopped and mashed that you can rarely tell the original source or bit rate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

jtsuited wrote: »

ps. i never use vocal samples because i can never find any good ones!
    eh what about that 11 minutes of vocal gold i just uploaded.

ok excluding the 11 minutes of north louth beauty that sean uploaded.

Already got something cool off itunes U.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Public Domain samples (speeches etc...) are fair game - courtesy of ex-Vice-President Spiro Agnew :D

(old/v.rough edit) http://www.uafasach.com/files/Azure.mp3

• Advertisement

jimi_t wrote: »
    Public Domain samples (speeches etc...) are fair game - courtesy of ex-Vice-President Spiro Agnew :D
    wasn't there a phase where everyone was beginning their sets with speeches by spiro t agnew?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

jtsuited wrote: »
    wasn't there a phase where everyone was beginning their sets with speeches by spiro t agnew?

What can I say, must be some very savvy and tasteful producers out there :D

Some D'n'B/Psytrance is desperate for that kind of **** though - I must have heard the entirety of Fear and loathing sampled at one point or another :rolleyes: Old Sci-fi B-Movies are raped to the same extent...

Exhibit A

Was that Spiro Agnew dude sampled in that mylo track???..maybe related,i recently stumbled across a transcript of a speech frank zappa gave to congress re censorship back in the day..a good read..anyway, back on topic...every once in a while i download a few of audiobooks and speeches and stuff..loads of random zen/scientific/political stuff..I keep sampling J Krishnamurti..The man speaks the (very sampleable) truth..at 120 bpm..

as far as I know, some big dj was famous for playing knights of the jaguar with a spiro t agnew speech to start off his set. I only know this because I had a dj mate in first year of college (2001/2002) who did it one night and it sounded great but he later told me he ripped the idea from this famous dj.
    Can't remember for the life of me who it was.

Advertisement