Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bible on the desk of all voting stations?

Options
  • 05-06-2009 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

If someone does not have ID or does not look like the Id they produce they have to swear on a bible that they are the person they say they are! A bit open to abuse and out of the times no?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Outdated, I'm an atheist and would have no problem swearing on the bible to vote twice or even three times in different polling stations with different names.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

Well I'm outraged. :mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Didn't see one this morning and I didn't produce ID either. I wonder would they accept a copy of The God Delusion in place of the bible?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

where did this whole thing come from that says people are less likely to lie if they have their hand on the bible? I mean it isn't mentioned in the Bible is it? I mean a lie is a lie to God right (perhaps a Christian could clarify) If I swore to tell the truth and lied does the Christian God care whether or not his diary is in the room or is this purely a tradition created extraneously to the bible.

It just seems farcical in this day and age that instead of refusing to let people with faulty ID's vote, they put their trust in the shoddy understanding that people won't lie with their hand on the Bible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭DTrotter

Is this true or an urban myth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

I didnt see one down my way ... though I found it a little peculiar that we are forced to use penicls rather than pens to mark our choices.

Very suspicious

>.>

<.<

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭DTrotter

I didnt see one down my way ... though I found it a little peculiar that we are forced to use penicls rather than pens to mark our choices.

Very suspicious

>.>

<.<

;)

The pencils could break when you stick them in the voting machines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

It just seems farcical in this day and age that instead of refusing to let people with faulty ID's vote, they put their trust in the shoddy understanding that people won't lie with their hand on the Bible.

They spent 50+ million on voting machines that were intrinsically flawed from day one - what exactly were you expecting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

DTrotter wrote: »
    Is this true or an urban myth?

This is true. I have a friend working at one of the stations and for the laugh he asks every 20th person to swear on it!

Also after he told me i looked for it at my station and there at the front was a small bible!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

If someone does not have ID or does not look like the Id they produce they have to swear on a bible that they are the person they say they are! A bit open to abuse and out of the times no?

Yeah there was one at the station I was at. But reading through the rule book, there is an alternative thing to say that didn't have god in it. Can't remember what it was though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Dinner wrote: »
    Yeah there was one at the station I was at. But reading through the rule book, there is an alternative thing to say that didn't have god in it. Can't remember what it was though.

Its something like "I do solmely swear , vow and affirm that i XXX" instead of "I swear before god almighty"

Wouldnt get too worked up about it. There is a non religious option but the bible is provided as part of standard polling station kit.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Didn't notice this at all.

Though I wasn't asked for I.D. so don't think they really minded too much...

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

Yeah, I wasn't ID'd either... Was anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I was ID'd", but they barely glanced at it. If there was a bible there I didn't notice it.

*and by ID'd I don't mean Intelligently Designed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

The God/Bible has been optional since 63.

The wording is :
    I swear by Almighty God that I am the same person as the person whose name appears as A B on the register of electors now in force for the constituency of .......................... and that I have not already voted at this election, and that I had attained the age of twenty-one years on....................... (date of coming into force of the register).

or

I do solemnly, sincerely and truly declare and affirm that I am the same person as the person whose name appears as A B on the register of electors now in force for the constituency of .......................... and that I have not already voted at this election, and that I had attained the age of twenty-one years on....................... (date of coming into force of the register).

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

So... if you have been preteng to be someone else (in effect lying), they think asking you (a liar) to make a promise is a fool proof idea... :confused::confused:

Galvasean wrote: »
    So... if you have been preteng to be someone else (in effect lying), they think asking you (a liar) to make a promise is a fool proof idea... :confused::confused:

As they say up north "vote early and vote often". :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

If I swore to tell the truth and lied does the Christian God care whether or not his diary is in the room or is this purely a tradition created extraneously to the bible.
    Yeah I think it's just a superstition. Christians should not swear on anything. Let yes be yes and no be no, he said.

I never heard of this. I think if someone is suspicious and lacks ID then they shouldn't let them vote. I assumed that was the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

You can opt for a non-christian oath, but I think some people have an issue with the fact that the christian oath is the default. As in, you have to declare yourself an atheist to get the other oath. Not a problem for me but it might be for some people.

There were no Garda at the station this year which struck me as odd. Or maybe it was just a fluke that every other time I've voted they were there.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

jhegarty wrote: »
    The God/Bible has been optional since 63.

The wording is :
    I swear by Almighty God that I am the same person as the person whose name appears as A B on the register of electors now in force for the constituency of .......................... and that I have not already voted at this election, and that I had attained the age of twenty-one years on....................... (date of coming into force of the register).

or

I do solemnly, sincerely and truly declare and affirm that I am the same person as the person whose name appears as A B on the register of electors now in force for the constituency of .......................... and that I have not already voted at this election, and that I had attained the age of twenty-one years on....................... (date of coming into force of the register).
    Em, you can be 18 and vote?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

Em, you can be 18 and vote?

It's from 1963.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Urizen wrote: »
    Yeah, I wasn't ID'd either... Was anyone?
    I was but only because I already had my passport out as my polling card was inside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I wonder if you refused on the grounds that you weren't Christian would they refuse you a vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Wish I had of heard about this before I went as I would have liked to have a proper look for one. I didn't notice one anyway,I wasn't asked to show ID either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

I wonder if you refused on the grounds that you weren't Christian would they refuse you a vote?

Nah as posted above there is an alternative oath if you're non-christian/atheist.
    Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Wish I had of heard about this before I went as I would have liked to have a proper look for one. I didn't notice one anyway,I wasn't asked to show ID either

The guideline is 1 in 4 people asked for ID. In reality it's usually whoever comes in without a polling card or has their ID already out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

somebody go find the rulebook im too lazy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Húrin wrote: »
    Yeah I think it's just a superstition. Christians should not swear on anything. Let yes be yes and no be no, he said.

So you would make the affirmation rather than swear on a bible?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Húrin wrote: »

This crossed my mind recently when I had to swear on the bible in court,but as we have to abide by the law of the land I didn't give it too much thought.

kiffer wrote: »
    So you would make the affirmation rather than swear on a bible?

Yes, see my post above.
    Splendour wrote: »
    This crossed my mind recently when I had to swear on the bible in court,but as we have to abide by the law of the land I didn't give it too much thought.

You don't have to swear on the bible in court, you can affirm there too. No bible or reference to God involved.

• Advertisement
Advertisement