Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midi

Options
  • 05-06-2009 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭

Can someone break it down for me in Layman terms

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Midi is..........

note data, controller data, etc.

midi is not......
    audio.

midi data can trigger a synth to play a note, trigger a drum machine to play a hit, control a synth/drum machine's parameters.

most things inside a DAW can be controlled via midi.

The most common purpose for midi is for programming notes in your DAW. You can do this two ways:

1. Record the midi that your midi keyboard sends out. This data is recorded in your DAW, and triggers synth/drum machine to play audio.

or

2. Draw the midi pattern in the DAW, like a step sequencer.

Simple enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

There are 16 separate MIDI channels also - so you can have MIDI data on each channel and send it to different instruments within your DAW.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Eh kinda.

I understand the principle that it's basically binary singles being sent to and from a computer and that the computer then transfers that data into sound depending on the program you're using.

The reason why I ask about Midi is I have a miniKorg and a Roland Drum machine. Both are Midi enabled. Does that mean they can be connected to each other? Or do they have to go through some type of interface?

I know it's a bit of a retarded question but it's just something that I was wondering about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Eh kinda.

I understand the principle that it's basically binary singles being sent to and from a computer and that the computer then transfers that data into sound depending on the program you're using.

The reason why I ask about Midi is I have a miniKorg and a Roland Drum machine. Both are Midi enabled. Does that mean they can be connected to each other? Or do they have to go through some type of interface?
    yup you should be able to hit a key on your microkorg and that'll send a midi note to your drum machine which will play a sound(depending on which note you hit).

that's it in simple terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

BaZmO* wrote: »

Yeah, but you always have to remember that a MIDI cable DOES NOT TRANSMIT AUDIO. If you have the MIDI OUT of the drum machine plugged into the MIDI IN of the MicroKorg, then the drum machine sequencer will trigger notes from the Microkorg and vice-versa. Best thing to get your head around it

Dated, but its an OLD standard do it's mostly relevant
    http://www.harmony-central.com/MIDI/Doc/intro.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement