Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids Dog

Options
  • 05-06-2009 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hi,
    im buying a pup for a 3 year old child and was wondering on which type of dog would be friendly...

i was thinking of a golden lab, got a price of 200euro, is that dear...

Also what sort of foods do they eat as they get older, do they cost alot to keep or would i be better getting a smaller dog.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

Personally myself I woulnt consider a Lab as they can (generally, not all the time!) be very hyperactive up to about 3 years. Saying that they are very good with children and make great companions, I would just be worried that the pup will get very big quite quickly and might be a bit too strong for your 3 year old, might accidently jump on him/her and knock him/her etc (also the fact that your child is only 3 im presuming you would be responsible for excercising them, labs need decent wakling/excercise or else can be very prone to being overweight)

I find that the Cavalier King Charles are very good for children, small size and very gently (idf u decidet o go for one please just make sure u buy fromreputable dealer, lot of puppy farmers out tehre breeding them now, get health cert etc)

Generally speaking, a small breed would probably be best

An old retired greyhound actaully makes a great pet and usually very good with children, they are very easy to look after and usually speaking they are pure couch potatoes :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

You need to be very weary of kids and pets. No matter what size of the pet is. Its not just the child you need to think of, but the pet.

I have a kind charles and my 3 year old niece picked up him one day and threw him when he struggled to get our of her hands.

Of course assuming that the children will be under good supervision go with a dog that is traditionally well mannered. A king charles is a good example. Although some of them tend to be recluse and introvert. I got lucky with my fella, hes very friendly and playful.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Id advise a cavalier king charles too. We have 2 and theyre fantastic little dogs. Gentle but really happy and playful and great companions. They eat very little in comparison to a lab and dont require massive amounts of excercise. As mentioned above, make sure you get a cav from a good breeder, they are a puppy farmers favourite and can have massive health issues if bought from a dodgy breeder. Off hand, youd expect to pay around 300-400 for a cav which i think is pretty standard for a common pedigree dog

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I'd second the retired greyhound suggestion (they can retire as early as 2 or 3 years old, sometimes earlier!) I've been around them since I was born, excellent dogs with children and they don't need as much exercise as you think. They'll be lead trained already and will be good in the car too.

http://www.orchardgreyhoundsanctuary.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

I would have to give my vote to the golden lab - purely from experience. Mother in law/next door neighbour has a golden lab bitch whos 2 years old and we have a golden lab dog- he's 9 months old.

There is always kids around their house and ours - even a 9 month old baby. Our pup is sooo easy going and very gentle. The toddlers, the 18 month old were running around mad to play with the pup and our wee fella just followed them around, very gentle. The 18 month old was almost sitting on our pup and he never flinched. When the baby comes in and sits in his little chair our pup lies at his feet and sleeps. Our wee pup is extremely gentle, quiet and loveable. He loves nothing more than to sit on the sofa and sleep. We have him trained well. Labs are extremely easy to train and to put manners on. We gave our lab loadsa chew toys and he never once destroyed anything of ours TG. We even travels everywhere with us in the back of the jeep - sad i know!
    €200 isnt bad for the pup either, although my mother in law sold the last litter of pups for €80 each. Its enough to pay IMO but some people pay €600 and thats just robbery when your not gonna breed or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭darrenon

I HAVE A TWO YEAR OLD DAUGHTER AND 2 TEN MONTH OLD LABS THERE ALL BEST FRIENDS. GREAT DOGS FOR KIDS,

PLENTY OF FREE LOVELY DOGS OUT THERE JUST LOOK AROUND AND DONT RUSH INTO ANYTHING!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭pw01

yea i was thinking of a cavalier king charles but its going to be outdoors alot of the time as i live in the country and in a kennal at night so i dont think that wud be suitable for that type of dog.

i think i go with the lab and hope 4 the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

A staffordshire maybe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

bushy... wrote: »
    A staffordshire maybe ?

these dogs, i think, are the most misunderstood dogs out there. We had a staffie when we were younger and she was the most child friendly dog i have ever known, she was a big burly ball of muscle and just adored playtime

was always so gentle and always seemed to sense the the need to be softer and quieter around children

they ahve had a bad reputation in the past but they seem to have become much more popular in recently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Eh I would hope you'd do a little more research than hoping for the best to be honest. Far too many dogs given up around this country because people don't know what they're doing. A dog is a big undertaking and something you'll be looking after for the next 10 to 12 years so get informed, don't just go and buy a pup.

• Advertisement
Advertisement