Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patio Killer

Options
  • 05-06-2009 8:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi,

Does anyone know how I can stop my cat killing her prey on my patio. I've had cats bring me gifts for more years than I can remember but I've never had one that brings its victim onto the patio to kill it. You can see the trail of destruction everywhere and I'm constantly mopping up the blood and picking up pieces of dead animal. I'm not there when she does it so I can't scold her for it. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Kaldorn

put a bell on your cat so its not killing poor song birds and rodents...:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Trax

No bell I'm afraid. Too many cats get killed each year by wearing a collar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

How?

They get stuck in tight spaces and their collar gets snagged. e.g up a tree and a branch slips under it. They can be hung or choked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Trax wrote: »
    They get stuck in tight spaces and their collar gets snagged. e.g up a tree and a branch slips under it. They can be hung or choked.

Get a snap away collar that opens when under pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Keep your cat inside or in a restricted outside enclosure.

The snap away collar sounds good. I dont want to keep my cat inside. She loves the outdoors and we're in the country with a huge garden. I'm not too happy about her killing poor wee birds or mice but its a cats nature to do so. So far I've managed to save a mouse and a baby rabbit. The wee mouse was on its hind legs and trying to fight back. I decided it didn't deserve to die that day for its bravery. She's only 8 months old and I'm hoping she gets fed up or too lazy to do it as she gets older.

Tbh a bell isnt going to solve the problem. The cat will work out fairly fast how to hunt with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Tbh a bell isnt going to solve the problem. The cat will work out fairly fast how to hunt with it.

Not true. My cat is about 4. By 5 months she had brought in her first bird and lots of mice. I tried everything. Moving our bird feeders, keeping her in at night and not letting her out until mid morning. This went on until she was nearly 2. Then I got her a snap collar with a big bell on it and she has only brought in one mouse in two years! And we think it was poisoned beforehand because it looked very worse for wear.
    OP, please get your cat a snap collar with a big bell. They are great and have saved my cat killing lots of wildlife.

Well my cats must be super awsome because they bring just has much home with a bell fitted.

Luckly though they have seemed to grow out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

be grateful she kills it.... all my cats i've ever had seem to sense i'm a softie so bring me live prey to 'teach' me how to hunt.

the amount of mice i've had to chase around the house and birds i've had to throw sheets over to catch isn't funny. my cat at my paremts house brought me a blimmin live rat once!

yesterday it was a shrew, thankfully i got it before it went under the fridge... we had a mouse behind the kitchen cupboards for a year at one stage thanks to their 'gifts'

Advertisement