Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bing - seriously good

Options
  • 05-06-2009 8:40am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

Just had my first use of Microsoft's bing.com. Fist impressions
    Looks like google
    Very fast
    neat preview of site if you hover to the right of a search result
    Related searches on left are better than googles.
    Image search bloody good, like the options available

For one scary moment I thought bing was copying googles search results. My usual keywords (web design waterford) had the same top two results as google.ie. However, quickly realised it was not so.

Good news is, serious competitor to Google. Badly needed because Google is becoming the 'microsoft' of search. Monopolies are not good.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Paul from blackdog has a pretty cool tool for comparing the two .. basic but it does the job nicely :)

http://www.blackdog.ie/google-bing/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Yep I'm liking the Bing for sure. Good job.

Why did they bring out a search engine that looks and behaves exactly like Google? What is going to make people who use Google use BING?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Why did they bring out a search engine that looks and behaves exactly like Google? What is going to make people who use Google use BING?

Competition is good .. google have too much of the market share right now I think its around 87% or something like that. That isn't that healthy.

Results are different on both and depending on which results work better for you you'll use that one (assuming people hear about it)

2 less letters to type into the url :P

Ultimately all search engines are kinda the same ... search for text / images / videos and so on .. it'll boil down to how they push it .. and if its the default search engine on upcoming versions of IE then they could get quite a market share

I heard Microsoft have over 100 million to spend on advertising alone. Google have all the market share because it works brilliantly, I hope bing does something to differentiate itself in some shape or form. A slinky new interface won't really be enough to change things in the sense of people using one over the other. I would have liked to see a bit more innovation to get more of a talking point. The first i heard about BING was in a Seth Godin email and his point was that they should do something different - I'm straight up on that bandwagon.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭conolan

Normally I'd agree about the differentiate bit. However, taking on Google is such a big ask, matching their successful formula was probably the best place to start.

The most important issue is speed, and they've done that.
    Next issue, quality of results. Time will tell on that, I doubt they dared to cut corners there.
    Then some innovation. And they have some of that.

Read their advertising plans on NYTimes.com. Interesting.

Overall, bloody good start. Likely to damage Yahoo in USA and limit Google in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Mick Regan

They still have a few wrinkles to iron out before they can really start pushing it.

A search on a certain keyword for our website gives the xml sitemap in the results! Its an odd prob, when they do the same search in the US they get the correct result, but not when i do the search here in Ireland.

I think its got them stumped at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I came across Bing just this morning - I was looking to locate Suffolk Street, Dublin and Google Maps (powered by Teleatlas) don't have it! A Google (hehe) search brought up Bing (powered by Navteq) which DOES have Suffolk Street! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Tony255

Hi all i really like it also but was wondering do i need to do anything different than what i am doing on google to try to get my website on Bing

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Funny how it handles results differently to Google. I just tested some of my sites, didnt come up very well compared to Google. Guess ill have to study it and see what can be done.

Looks good though.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

I'm not sure its as user friendly as Google just yet.

Will be fascinating to see what they do with their PPC model when they launch it and how businesses will react to having to manage a whole new PPC platform. I wonder if they will make it easy to grab campaigns direct from google.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I'm not sure its as user friendly as Google just yet.

Will be fascinating to see what they do with their PPC model when they launch it and how businesses will react to having to manage a whole new PPC platform. I wonder if they will make it easy to grab campaigns direct from google.

PPC exists on more platforms that Google! and already exists for Bing (not in IE yet).

I use a service which centrally manages campaigns across Yahoo, Microsoft adCentre & Google, so cross platform services are not a huge issue.

While AdWords is user friendly for newbies, I've see better ROI with Yahoo & adCentre (undoubtedly less competitive for PPC models).

Although running CPA metrics makes managing and optimising multiple platforms a lot easier.

Advertisement