Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

favourite irish words

Options
  • 05-06-2009 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Croch- this is my current fave, purely on the sound of it.

Used in loads of contexts the half if them I don't know yet, but it can mean 'lift/carry' something:- rud a chrochadh leat: to carry off something

croch leat: clear off!

crochta in airde: hanging up high

to hang a picture on a wall: pictiur a chrochadh ar bhalla

also liking 'anseo' said as 'anso' by the Munster folk :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

scraisean.
    Might not be the way you spell it but I used it for my leaving cert to describe the effect that alcohol has on personal relationships and the way my friend described it to me was that he took a piece of paper and just crumpled it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

rí-rá

ach

mar a dúirt mé cheanna

mná when said in a northy accent - mrá like grá

eochar

blas

tiocfaidh (the sound aswel )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Rachaigh, on the sound of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Worztron

Madra - Dog
    Bainne - Milk
    Milseáin - Sweets

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 39 The_Wexican

ach go tobann - but suddenly

It wasn't a good Irish essay unless you put that in :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Toyota_Avensis

Few favourites myself faoi láthair.

Rud éigean ... Meaning some 'thing'

Blás... Meaning Accent or Taste

Bhfuil sin í gceart? .. Conversational way of saying 'that alright?'

Chasamar.. Meaning ''we met'' as far as I know, usually used in relation to relationships, and how a couple first met.

''Cuirfidh me scairt duit''.... I'll call you.. Very effective when followed by ''ar ball'' meaning later..

''Taobh amuigh'' simply meaning outside, it just sounds well me thinks.

''Ní raibh/Níl mé ach..'' way of saying I was/ I'm just.. Literally means I am not but .. I like how it's formated, translated and sounds :D

Can't forget ''go tobann'' as mentioned above. The essence of every good Irish LC Essay since the foundation of the State.

''Bhfuil tú cinnte?'' are you sure?

''Tá'' when it isn't overused and said like 'thaw' .. Prefare the Donegal way being said like 'ta' for 'ta da'' with maybe a hint of a H in there somewhere.

Speaking of H, words which are effected by lenitation always sounds good. Such as ''Máire'' becoming ''a Mháire'' when being addressed, which produces a ''WOI RA'' pronunciation. Should embrace the grammar rules :D

If only we were taught to speak coherent conversational Irish at school, eh?

Advertisement