Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Visit to Limerick

Options
  • 04-06-2009 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Will be staying at the Clarion Suites Limerick on July 19th... any good pubs nearby? Things to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

mdo wrote: »
    Will be staying at the Clarion Suites Limerick on July 19th... any good pubs nearby? Things to do?

not much in the general area, but only a 5 to 10 minute walk into town depending on how fast you walk, plenty of bars/pubs nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mdo

foinse wrote: »
    not much in the general area, but only a 5 to 10 minute walk into town depending on how fast you walk, plenty of bars/pubs nearby.

Safe area for walking? Any areas near the hotel I need to avoid? I will be traveling with wife and son and daughter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

hi,

theres supposed to be a great pub in the clarion suites but next door is the woodfield house hotel, great place for a few nice pints and serve nice pub grub

http://www.hotelsireland.com/dsp.hoteldetails.cfm?HotelKey=4254&gclid=CLXuqoTM8ZoCFdMWzAodOSmAJg

you could also try the hilton strand hotel, only a few mins walk away and practically in town,the place is super modern tho so if its more quaint and homely atmosphere then the woodfield would suite your needs

http://www.strandhotellimerick.ie/?gclid=CILm3MHM8ZoCFcQTzAodK0CZJQ

otherwise you could just venture into town, about 15mins walk!
    hope you enjoy your trip!

with regard safe areas, just keep on the main road into town and you'll be fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dumb

Avoid William Street, Patrick Street, Henry Street and Mulgrave Street. These are rough areas.

Safe area for walking? Any areas near the hotel I need to avoid? I will be traveling with wife and son and daughter...

no it's on the ennis road and just off the north circular road, some of the better areas of Limerick, it's a well lit road, and a straight walk in the road to the city centre, so it is quite safe to walk. but as with any city you need to exercise some bit of caution walking in areas you don't know after dark.

• Advertisement

Dumb wrote: »
    Avoid William Street, Patrick Street, Henry Street and Mulgrave Street. These are rough areas.

Patrick and Henry streets are fine, and there would be no need for him to go near mulgrave street(other side of town) and there's nothing of interest on william street.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

?????

Ridiculous - Mulgrave St. is the only one in that list where one MIGHT have issues. I say might, because with half an ounce of street sense, you won't have any trouble on it. The others you mentioned are perfectly safe high streets. Are you agrophobic or paranoid or something.

OP - the hotel is well located and there is little chance of wandering into any unsavoury location from there to be honest. You would have to really make an concerted effort to do so! :pac: The centre is very accessible from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

I'm living in limerick most of my life and Ive never encountered any sort trouble in the City. Maybe around watergate flats ,Hyde rd and broad street at 2am but about the worst of it, even then you'd want to be the one starting trouble to get involved. Those other streets listed are just regular busy streets.

Id recommend King Johns Castle for a visit.

Id also recommend walking straight along the river from the Clarion all the way to Arthurs Quay park, just for a decent view of the city during the day.

Pub wise, if the weather is good, you will HAVE to pay the lock bar a visit, you get to sit outside, enjoying your pints while overlooking the river, lovely day/evening buzz there with plenty of seats, be warned though if the weather is really good people flock there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Oh ffs....:rolleyes:

You sound a bit rough..

Thanks for the replies... I really appreciate the feedback .... no one knows the area better than the locals.... whenever I travel to a new area here in the US, I always ask the locals about the problem areas because it's best to avoid them if possible.... thanks again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Henry St rough???? :D You could not get a safer street in the city if you tried! I don't agree that Patrick St is rough either. William St might be full of undesirables but you generally won't find any trouble on it, unless you go looking for it.

Op is this your first visit to Ireland? just wondering to tailor suggestions to suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

The new Willie Sexton pub has opened. My sis has been a few times and has been v impressed. This is directly beside the suites OP. I've heard that there is a good crowd there too. Defo gonna try this myself over the wknd.

Valentine's Day 2008, me, the wife and twin sister/husband flew to Shannon, drove through the Burren, to the Cliffs of Mohr and on to Galway for 4 days.... This time, me, the wife, 25 yr old daughter and 21 yr old son will land in Shannon, drive to Galway and spend 3 nights there.... planning a day trip to Dublin, cliffs, and a local castle.... spend the last day in Limerick... This is my son's 21st birthday as he turns 21 the day we land....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Colin12

The 19th of July There is a Rugby Festival on in Limerick. Limerick is the home of Munster rugby and what better way to experience the city then checking it out.www.pignpoter.com.
    Ireland’s largest and best Tag Rugby Festival, Limerick’s Pig ‘n’ Porter will be expanded into a three day event this July, it was announced today.
    Old Crescent RFC in association with the Irish Tag Rugby Association (ITRA) will host the 8th annual Pig ‘n’ Porter Tag Rugby Festival at its grounds in Rosbrien, Limerick between Friday, July 17th and Sunday, July 19th 2009.

Dolans Warehouse & Pub (Located 5 minutes drive from the hotel)
    Traditional live music 7 nights a week in Dolans Pub.
    Great Bar for Irish Music. U might have ur fill of it by the time u leave Galway though. Remember early closing on Sunday nights in Ireland.

If you want a castle I suggest this. Bunratty Castle and Folk Park (25 min drive from your hotel in County Clare about 15 minutes outside of Limerick city on the Galway Rd)
    Built in 1425 and restored in 1954. Enjoy the famous Medieval Banquet at the World Famous Bunratty Castle & Folk Park where rural and urban life from the 19th century Victorian Ireland is recreated.
    the Banquet there is amazing and i can say that from first hand experience. google it and prehaps think about booking a banquet for that night. It will cost a bit more than the pub (ticket costs and taxi) but check it out its great fun. the banquets happen at night there 2 and last a few hours cant remember extactly. U could visit the folk park in the evening and head to the banquet after wards. it would be a memorable birthday celebration.

Craggaunowen (20 mins drive from hotel its in county Clare) might be a nice place to go during the day if the weather is decent.
    Craggaunowen - the Living Past Experience is Ireland's original award winning Pre-historic Park. Situated on 50 acres of wooded grounds, the Park interprets Ireland's pre-historic and early Christian eras. It features a stunning recreation of some of the homesteads, animals and artefacts which existed in Ireland over 1,000 years ago.

Also perhaps bear in mind this for your trip. www.ringofkerrytourism.com. it might be more enjoyable than a trip to Dublin. just a suggestion. You would need to dedicate at least a day to this trip.

Check out www.visitaranislands.com. it would be great to head out to the islands while in Galway. its a 45 minute ferry trip from galway to the islands. irish is the first language out there. www.aranislandferries.com run dailly trips to the islands.

anyway im ranting now if u want to know more just ask.

i hope this is of some help to you

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You can let the two of the kids loose in the city on their own anyway without any fear that they will be in any sort of danger.

Heading to Galway? They and you will love it, not only for its nightlife, but because its a beautiful city.

Im off to Galway myself in around 30 minutes but alas only for around 5 hours and I will be working.

If you are thinking of taking in a Castle then Bunratty castle & folk park is for you.

http://www.shannonheritage.com/Attractions/BunrattyCastleFolkPark/

Its between Shannon and Limerick and from the Clarion Suites it only 20 minutes drive.

As mentioned the Ardhu bar is now open next door but that is the only thing nearby. You will have to walk into the city to find another pub/bar of any calibre.

At the top of this forum there is a "sticky" with a list of restaurant mentioned and voted for by locals and/or members of this forum.

Enjoy Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Ok to get back on topic the Ardhu is an amazing pub right beside the clarion suites. Just opened a week ago. The locke bar in town is also a great bar when its sunny. You should definitely visit King John's castle and there are some great views of the whole area from the river

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

If you have not been to a Hurling match yet I'd recommend you go to one.

"Hurling combines the skills of baseball, hockey, and lacrosse in one high speed, high scoring, high octane sport that will blow you away."
    Hurling - the fastest game on grass http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luQ2Vxez2V4&feature=related
    What is Hurling? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM-kB1e96CA

Limericks biggest Hurling stadium the "Gaelic Grounds" is about a 1 minute walk from Clarion Suites.
    Not sure yet if there is a match on there on July 19th but matches are usually played on a Sunday.

Keep an eye on this website for fixtures http://www.limerickgaa.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

Berty wrote: »
    If you are thinking of taking in a Castle then Bunratty castle & folk park is for you.

http://www.shannonheritage.com/Attractions/BunrattyCastleFolkPark/

Its between Shannon and Limerick and from the Clarion Suites it only 20 minutes drive.

I'd also recommend Bunratty Castle, it is very easy to find from the Clarion Suites.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

If heading to town, the locke would be a great place for all of you to drink/eat together, as its a very mixed age crowd, so everyone will feel comfortable there. place to stay and the walk to town is very safe IMO.
    If you're travelling from galway to Limerick, stop off at bunratty for a look :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thread cleaned up.

This thread is for discussing what to do in Limerick.
    Any dumb off topic posts will be deleted and bans will be handed out.

We've had at least 8 reported posts around Dumb's dumb comments, and I've tried to work around them, but enough is enough.

Rechecked our schedule and see that we will be arriving in Limerick on the 18th.... I hope they have a Hurling match on that Saturday.... will be leaving Limerick on the 19th......will have a pint or two in the Ardhu and a trip to King Johns Castle.... thanks again to all that contributed all the helpful information....

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭supermommy

You should try and go to Dolans, take it from another american!
    The atmosphere there is lovely.. Cheap enough in a cab if yer a lil lazy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ajax147

enjoy man loads to do in the big D

supermommy wrote: »
    You should try and go to Dolans, take it from another american!
    The atmosphere there is lovely.. Cheap enough in a cab if yer a lil lazy..

Will do! Wish I had more time to spend in Limerick but already made the reservations....

Advertisement