Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair online checkin...passport out of date

Options
  • 04-06-2009 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭

Hi, any info would be appreciated

I am using the online ryanair check in webpage, and ive just discovered my friends passport is out of date by about 3 months.....they ask you to enter the expiry date and if its expired it will not let you check in....should I enter a fake expiry date or will I get into trouble?? Will airport security really take much notice of the expiry dates??

Thanks
    JH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Your passport number will gove the game away.

You wouldn't have gotten away with it in the pre internet days so it definately won't work now with tighter security and all that...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I've input the wrong expiry date on online check in but they never picked up on it. I'd risk it and just put in your passport number but put the expiry date forward a few months. As long as you get through the online bit you're fine as they never check in the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

My wife was refused check-in on a Dublin to Cork Ryanair flight when her passport was out of date by 7 hours! That was check-in at the desk, not online. If you can get away with it online then I'd say there is a good chance you will get away with it on the outbound flight, but depending on where your flying to coming back might be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

My wife was refused check-in on a Dublin to Cork Ryanair flight when her passport was out of date by 7 hours! That was check-in at the desk, not online. If you can get away with it online then I'd say there is a good chance you will get away with it on the outbound flight, but depending on where your flying to coming back might be a problem.

If you check in online the only person who looks at your passport is the steward at the gate though and they always have too many people coming at them to be bothered to compare expiry dates (the people at the xray machines only check you have a boarding card).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

The way airports are these days I wouldn't risk it. If the trip is important go and get an emergency passport or else get the ferry or fly with someone who still takes Driving Licenses (not sure who?).

You never said where you're going. If it's the UK you should be ok I'd imagine but anywhere else and they'll look at your passport when you get there too. You run the risk of being stopped, hassled, etc, etc. Is it worth it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Foggy43 wrote: »

Yeah thats the problem....a VALID passport. Which my friend does not now have! The flight is only to the UK, I remember the good ol days when you didnt even need a passport to go there :rolleyes:

So I really dont know what to do....should he "chance it"....is it all in the lap of the gods as to whether airport security will actually check the date

BTW whats wrong with showing a driving licence anyway??:confused:

I'd say just chance it. Failing that, since it's only to the UK, he can pay for airport check in and use his driving license.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Use the driving license for going to the UK and check in at the airport, you won't have that option anymore with Ryanair though after October(?).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

The flights were booked AFTER the 20th of May deadline so this isnt looking good I'm afraid....airport check-in is only available to flights booked before that date....I dont suppose one can get a National Identity Card by tomorrow evening?!! As we are due to fly on Saturday morning! I could kill my mate for not having his passport in order :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Ireland doesn't issue NICs. He'll have to get to a passport office with proof of travel then sit and wait.

Taking a chance means risking your trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Ireland doesn't issue NICs. He'll have to get to a passport office with proof of travel then sit and wait.

Taking a chance means risking your trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭misssaucie

:DDEFINITELY chance it JH. If you check in online and don't have to check in luggage, you wont have to produce your passport until you are about to board the plane in the departures hall, I am ex Ryanair cabin crew and we were and they still are so under pressure to keep to slot times and tight turnarounds that it is just not possible for us to take in all the info on boarding card and passport at the same time when you hand them over to us. Generally we just checked the surname and make sure it corresponds to the boarding card and that if the passenger was travelling to PIK for example they had PIK on their boarding card printout and not another destination.

To put your mind at ease... alot of my family ask me to book them flights as they have no access to internet and this means I end up getting their confirmation details etc to my mail box, most of the time they all travel to Spain and when flying with Ryanair you are supposed to give pre-travel information to Spainish authorities via the Ryanair web site and they ask for the passengers name, dob, passport number, expiry date etc... each single time they have asked me for this I have entered fake numbers as I couldn't be bothered calling them (family) for the info...this has been going on for about a year and a half and there has been no problems what so ever... sorry bout all the detail :D !!!
    Hi, any info would be appreciated

I am using the online ryanair check in webpage, and ive just discovered my friends passport is out of date by about 3 months.....they ask you to enter the expiry date and if its expired it will not let you check in....should I enter a fake expiry date or will I get into trouble?? Will airport security really take much notice of the expiry dates??

Thanks
    JH

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AMYCare

Hi all....

Due to gross stupidity on my part, I have flights to Edinburgh booked for 7 this evening and a passport that expired in July. Don't have a drivers' licence or work id... Any point risking it if I tell a fib on the online check-in form? I'm flying Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

AMYCare wrote: »
    Hi all....

Due to gross stupidity on my part, I have flights to Edinburgh booked for 7 this evening and a passport that expired in July. Don't have a drivers' licence or work id... Any point risking it if I tell a fib on the online check-in form? I'm flying Ryanair.

You might as well risk it, input your passport as July 2011 and hope they don't notice, it's only a Ryanair requirement not UK or Irish Immigration, so all that could happen is that Ryanair say no on the way over, obviously it'd be a pain in the hoop if the spot it on the way back!

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

I don't remember which thread it was and whether here on AAM but there was a guy who got caught out recently. However, this was only because he forgot to print his boarding pass and had to get a new one at the airport where they then re-checked his details. If you enter them online (with a fake expiry date), print the boarding pass and go straight to the gate, I would not at all be surprised it you made it to the UK. You would probably be breaking Ryanair's T&Cs though (but not any laws concerning border crossing - yo do not even need a passport to go to the UK).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

You have to ask yourself is this worth the risk? Getting denied boarding even once is once too many tbh.

Passport Express ftw.

Savman wrote: »
    You have to ask yourself is this worth the risk? Getting denied boarding even once is once too many tbh.

Passport Express ftw.

Did you read his post? He's flying out tonight to Edinburgh, so Passport Express is no use to him.

What implications are there from being denied boarding? None, it's not like there's going to be a black mark put against his name by Ryanair or anyone else.

Did you read his post? He's flying out tonight to Edinburgh, so Passport Express is no use to him.

What implications are there from being denied boarding? None, it's not like there's going to be a black mark put against his name by Ryanair or anyone else.
    I was referring to the point raised by the OP and subsequent discussion, which is the notion of 'chancing it' in general.

BTW, the implications of being denied boarding, well it's not so bad if you are outbound but suppose you get nabbed on your return leg? Rightly stuffed you are.

Even if you were to be denied on your outbound, there are sill cost factors associated with a failed trip, your flight money, hotel bookings plus whatever else you have laid down...all gone and you wont have a leg to stand on. If you still think it's worth the risk, be my guest.

• Advertisement

I was referring to the point raised by the OP and subsequent discussion, which is the notion of 'chancing it' in general.

BTW, the implications of being denied boarding, well it's not so bad if you are outbound but suppose you get nabbed on your return leg? Rightly stuffed you are.

Even if you were to be denied on your outbound, there are sill cost factors associated with a failed trip, your flight money, hotel bookings plus whatever else you have laid down...all gone and you wont have a leg to stand on. If you still think it's worth the risk, be my guest.

Generally speaking I wouldn't be in favour of chancing it but the poster above was going that night and more importantly was flying back from Edinburgh where there are options if Ryanair wouldn't allow him/her board. If they were going somewhere more difficult/expensive to get back from I wouldn't chance it myself.

flying back from Edinburgh where there are options if Ryanair wouldn't allow him/her board.
    Oh really? You must be talking about the Eurolines coach which leaves once a day and takes approx 22hrs from Edinburgh to Dublin. Lovely way to travel that, I'd recommend everyone try this once purely for the experience. Pikeys, hobos and serial killers a plenty.

Or you could take the SailRail which is so much faster, coming in at a miniscule 12hrs. At least you see some of the British countryside, not forgetting you have to change train 3 or 4 times and hope there's no delays. You also get the added bonus of arriving into Dublin at the lovely hour of 6am having slept on a ferry sofa next to some smelly bag lady.

These methods of travel make Ryanair seem like a luxury airline.

Me? I'll keep me passport in date, thanks.

Oh really? You must be talking about the Eurolines coach which leaves once a day and takes approx 22hrs from Edinburgh to Dublin. Lovely way to travel that, I'd recommend everyone try this once purely for the experience. Pikeys, hobos and serial killers a plenty.

Or you could take the SailRail which is so much faster, coming in at a miniscule 12hrs. At least you see some of the British countryside, not forgetting you have to change train 3 or 4 times and hope there's no delays. You also get the added bonus of arriving into Dublin at the lovely hour of 6am having slept on a ferry sofa next to some smelly bag lady.

These methods of travel make Ryanair seem like a luxury airline.

Me? I'll keep me passport in date, thanks.

In order to prove a point you're deliberately ignoring the fact that Aer Lingus also fly from Edinburgh and don't require an in-date passport. :rolleyes:

In order to prove a point you're deliberately ignoring the fact that Aer Lingus also fly from Edinburgh and don't require an in-date passport. :rolleyes:
    Still defending the indefensible eh, and how much is that Aer Lingus flight going to cost when you walk up looking for a same day flight? Mad money. Come to your senses ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

Or you could take the SailRail which is so much faster, coming in at a miniscule 12hrs.
    Really, the 0953hrs train departure from Edinburgh has you in Dublin Port for 1915hrs. That isn't 12 hours;).

A good book and a few cans will get you through it and at only £31.50 it beats paying over the odds for a flight on the day.

Advertisement