Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new puppy :):)

Options
  • 04-06-2009 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

hi all,

we got a cocker spaniel recently and housetraining is going really well - he knows where he's not to wander and uses the puppy training mat i'd say 7 times out of 10. really pleased:):)
    i have a question though:
    he;s startedto bite my runners and in turn my ankles etc... i've always used 'No!' as a rule of pointing out to him that something is wrong but this isn't working. when this happens i also give him something else to chew and then reward or priase him for chewing on that. but he's goes back to the runners and gets really aggressive ( i hate to admit it but it scares me). when he does this (gets aggressive) i walk away and leave him in the garden. he pines, i don't let him in until he quitens down
    ive noticed in the past couple of days since this has started to happen that he's not himself and doesn't come over for 'cuddles'.i don't want to always feel like i'm saying no to him but i'm not going to let him get away with bad behaviour.
    would anyone have a suggestion please.
    he's 9 weeks old - (i'm female is that has some bearing)
    tks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

My 4 month old German Shepherd used to do this alot! She would run along behind me and swing out of my jeans / work trousers / PJ's and my shoes! I was told by our doggie training school that she was just being playful. However you will need to teach him that he cant be hanging out of you forever so when ever he goes to nip your ankles let out a big yelp (like another dog would if he were to bite them) and walk away and leave him for a little while, He will soon get the picture that hes not supposed to do that. You will also need to teach him bite inhibition so that he understands that his teeth are not allowed to touch your skin.

Best of luck with him!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Moznips

forgot to mention that he growls when i say no to him and hold him back when he's going to chew my runners/bite my ankles
    i'll keep up with the training ..
    tks for ur reply

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I agree leave out a big yelp and then ignore puppy for a while , try this for a while iv known a few people that use a water spray bottle as a last resort , any time he bites ankles etc he gets a light misty spray of water towards his head even the less intelligent dogs start understanding after a few sprays

Advertisement