Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

live food for reptiles... anywhere in ireland?

Options
  • 04-06-2009 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

hey, im looking for a place that delivers to ireland or even better thats in ireland too.
    crickets locusts cockroaches the usual stuff i just cant be arsed paying the stupid prices that pet shops charge. anyway couldnt see a reptile section so im assuming this goes here... please move if im wrong

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

where in the country are you as i know of some reasonable prices for live food. the only online retaileer i know of i had a very bad experience with. bought a load of stuff off em 3 months later i had only 1 bag of locusts off them, imy cousin also had the same problem with them. wouldnt reccomend them to ANYONE

• Registered Users Posts: 34 CyberGimp109

hey, im down in waterford but im up in tipperary most weeks too... im guessing any decent prices would be near dublin or atleast someone nowhere near where i am anyway.
    yeh they sound like i wouldnt want to deal with them, have had enough trouble with buying music stuff off the internet.
    im looking in the uk too if anyone will ship them i remember finding someone that shipped to ireland a while back but cant remember them.
    im hoping to attempt to breed locusts or roaches anyway so if there was a trip to somewhere in ireland i travel everynow and then so it may be worth the trip anywa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Some shops sell bulk bags of locusts - I know my local one does - where in Tipp are you at the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

http://www.livefoods.co.uk/index.php?cPath=94

have you tought about breeding your own??
    ive never done it myself but there is alot of info on google and youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RaeRae

The least I have paid for livefood is 4 euro per tub of crickets. Ben in Reptile Haven here in Dublin usually throws in a free tub for me if i'm buying more than one but livefood is horribly expensive when you add up the weekly cost.

I'm going to start a feeder roach colony soon I think, if you consider doing the same, there's a lot of people on uk reptile, insect and arachnid forums who'll send over the makings of a colony to ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Kaldorn

`newlands cross has a great selection and you can come straight up the motorway avoiding the citycentre..i buy all my stuff there..its not cheap but its a top notch store.

Kaldorn wrote: »
    `newlands cross has a great selection and you can come straight up the motorway avoiding the citycentre..i buy all my stuff there..its not cheap but its a top notch store.

Is that up past Belgard? I work right by there and was wondering what kind of stuff they stock. Any use? How big is the pet section?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Irishsnake

Hi

Ive been buying locusts in quantities of 100 from england for years with great success. Was buying from wild world supplies at approx £20 pounds delivered ordered on monday arrived thursday or friday so all arrived alive except maybe in very cold weather in winter. These closed down at weekend. so ive just ordered from rickslivefood.co.uk and also made enquires at monkfield nutrition in uk both at priced at around the same will have to wait and see now there service is before any recommendations.

Hope this helps as i too found prices crazy in local pet shops and also easier have the bugs delivered than travelling miles for them as im in monaghan

Irishsnake wrote: »
    Hi

Ive been buying locusts in quantities of 100 from england for years with great success. Was buying from wild world supplies at approx £20 pounds delivered ordered on monday arrived thursday or friday so all arrived alive except maybe in very cold weather in winter. These closed down at weekend. so ive just ordered from rickslivefood.co.uk and also made enquires at monkfield nutrition in uk both at priced at around the same will have to wait and see now there service is before any recommendations.

Hope this helps as i too found prices crazy in local pet shops and also easier have the bugs delivered than travelling miles for them as im in monaghan

yeh can you get back to me with that if they deliver and are good. thatd be perfect anyway
    he least I have paid for livefood is 4 euro per tub of crickets. Ben in Reptile Haven here in Dublin usually throws in a free tub for me if i'm buying more than one but livefood is horribly expensive when you add up the weekly cost.
    I'm going to start a feeder roach colony soon I think, if you consider doing the same, there's a lot of people on uk reptile, insect and arachnid forums who'll send over the makings of a colony to ireland.
    yeh down here you get 4 adult locust for 4 euro or so//. its ridiculous. and my lizard seems to have gone off crickets (which arent too bad) so wanna set up something to make my own. ill havea look for some forums so how are roaches compared to locust tho? smell wise and noise.. my gf wouldnt appreciate any huge amount of bugs in the house so trying to find the least annoying bugs i can.
    Some shops sell bulk bags of locusts - I know my local one does - where in Tipp are you at the weekend?

i dont think the one i go to does they all come in boxed so i doubt theyd sell them since theyre making ridiculous profits on them as every week they sell out.

oh and im up in cahir every week... basicly the center of tipperary

• Advertisement

I find crickets quite possibly the most irritating feeders. The noise, the smell, the escapees. Roaches are great, I've had some as feeders and the lizard and tarantulas really seemed to enjoy them. No smell compared to crickets, no noise, no escapees. It's unfortuneate that they're not easy to come by here but I really am going to try and get my act together and get a colony started.It takes some time before you'd have a well enough established colony to feed from but I'd say it's well worth it in the long run. Roaches might freak out your girlfriend, I don't know, I'm a girl and don't mind them, but there are plenty of different types you can get. Check the classifieds on Bugnation.Also, what type of lizard do you have that has gone off crickets?

RaeRae wrote: »
    I find crickets quite possibly the most irritating feeders. The noise, the smell, the escapees. Roaches are great, I've had some as feeders and the lizard and tarantulas really seemed to enjoy them. No smell compared to crickets, no noise, no escapees. It's unfortuneate that they're not easy to come by here but I really am going to try and get my act together and get a colony started.It takes some time before you'd have a well enough established colony to feed from but I'd say it's well worth it in the long run. Roaches might freak out your girlfriend, I don't know, I'm a girl and don't mind them, but there are plenty of different types you can get. Check the classifieds on Bugnation.Also, what type of lizard do you have that has gone off crickets?

yeh she hates bugs., its a bearded dragon hes never been too crazy for crickets but its prettymuch all i can get around here as i said the locust which she loves are stupidly priced. yeh think ill try and set one up gotta break the news to the gf so... :P

yeh she hates bugs., its a bearded dragon hes never been too crazy for crickets but its prettymuch all i can get around here as i said the locust which she loves are stupidly priced. yeh think ill try and set one up gotta break the news to the gf so... :P

If it's a beardie (I have one too), they eat less and less feeders as time goes on. It's should be eating 20-30% feeders, 70-80% greens by 2 years of age. Mine eats less crickets these days, fresh salad every day. He still goes mad for them when he wants to.

ah i know yeh, hes still young bout a year and a half bit less just in general in the crickets he should be eating he has no interest but other things he goes mad for, i give him salad and that dont you worry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

hey, im looking for a place that delivers to ireland or even better thats in ireland too.
    crickets locusts cockroaches the usual stuff i just cant be arsed paying the stupid prices that pet shops charge. anyway couldnt see a reptile section so im assuming this goes here... please move if im wrong

this could be the stupidest suggestion ever, but could you not buy a few in a pet shop and breed them at home in a separate tank?

peanuthead wrote: »
    this could be the stupidest suggestion ever, but could you not buy a few in a pet shop and breed them at home in a separate tank?

cant get cockroaches around here and the locusts are 4 euro for 4 adults.. so if i wanted to get like fifty itd be crazy prices thats all, ive found some online places that seem much cheaper anyway bags of fifty for like 15 euro or something cant remember exactly but way better deals anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Irishsnake

Hi

Sorry its taken so long getting back to you ive been getting orders from a few different places. The best priced and good delivery i got is 100 large locusts for £15.35 delivered. These are a bit small for an adult beardie might need to order extra large but a week or two in a heated box with good grub will fatten them up pretty quick. The supplier is on ebay "milkie13" or you can contact Sue on 0044 800 6128 798.

i hope this helps

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 YAQ91

does any 1 no of any reptiles sites that will deliver live reptiles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

None.

Advertisement