Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can you confirm if this is a robin's Nest

Options
  • 04-06-2009 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭

My Dad found this nest last week in an overgrown part of his flower border down the country! Luckily the bird was on the nest, flew out and thats how he realized it was there. It is just on the ground under some couch grass.
    I watched during the weekend to see what i could see and I'm pretty sure it's a robins nest. they seemed to be the only birds active around the place.
    can somebody confirm this. Here,s a picture I took through the grass.

2957018620102176936S425x425Q85.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

No pic - but Robins don't tend to nest on ground. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Yes thats what I thought.
    I actually had thought it may be a skylarks nest or meadow pipit. Watched nest for a long time but could not see the bird flying out. She was sitting on the nest but was heavily disguised by the grass.
    When I approached the general area I did hear a robin give a warning cry.

Can't seem to find any good website with images of eggs and my bird books don't have any eggs in them either!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Judgement day Can you not see the pic. I can :confused:

Thanks. I can see it now. They look like Robins' eggs but possibly a pipit or skylark - never had any in my collection or handled any. I will check in a very good egg book I have at home - 'Pocket Encyclopedia of Birds' Eggs and Nesting Habits' by Siegfried Hoeher - the egg collector's bible! Egg collecting is illegal and socially unacceptable but in my youth....:)

After a brief flick through the aforementioned book, a Willow Warbler seems the most likely candidate both in terms of location and egg markings. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

My robins are nesting low down in the ditch, the dogs gives them a little visit every now and then but they don't seem too annoyed. Going to check for egg over the week end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Robins are notorious for nesting anywhere. Wasn't there a farmers market down in Cork where a pair of Robins built a nest in the over head display?

Advertisement