Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lec Freezer

Options
  • 04-06-2009 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

I bought a small Lec freezer a few months ago. Working well but the side panels get roasting hot when the freezer is freezing. Sounds like a contradiction to me. Got the freezer checked and the engineer says everything is okay. Anyone else have the same experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Think about it - all the heat that the freezer is extracting from the inside has to get dumped somewhere - so it gets dumped outside. With this hot weather, it has to work even harder to keep the temperature low inside as the temperature differential between outside and inside has increased with the warm weather.

Make sure that the freezer is in a well-ventilated spot and that it isn't too enclosed.

Moved to Home Appliances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 deise4ever

What you say makes sense but I have a chest freezer and the panels on that have never got hot. Still a bit wary of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If this is a small freezer then it won't have the small surface area to dissipate the heat through as a bit one will.

TBH, I can't say for certain if it's OK or not. Keep an eye on it, like you said yourself, and call the engineer back again if you're unhappy.

The two freezers are actually the same size. Can't remember the name of the chest one off-hand (not writing this from home) but it would be a better brand than Lec. That might be the reason. Will keep an eye on it, especially as the actual motor also got very hot. Had I known that this would happen, I would not have purchased this particular freezer. Thank you so much for your responses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 harryh

If your motor is getting hot, you might have a problem.

Is the Lec freezer in the same room as your chest freezer?
    Is it near a window?
    Could you get the temperature of the room where the Lec freezer is located?

With the hot weather last week your problem may be due high ambient temperatures or poor location.

• Advertisement

Thanks for response. Freezer is beside fridge, not freezer. No window in room - part of converted garage. Room quite cool because no direct sunshine hits it. Had chest freezer in same location with no problems. Think it may be that the panels on the Lec freezer would not be as good quality as the Tricity Bendix chest freezer. Lec seem to think it is okay but still weird to me.

Advertisement