Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 Month Old Jack Russell - House Training

Options
  • 04-06-2009 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I have a 7 month old Jack Russell (Kiko) which I got about 1 month ago. He is very playful and energetic but i do not know how to go about house training him.

At the moment he usually goes on newspaper in the front hall or at the back door. Sometimes he will just go there even if there is no newspaper.

Anybody got any tips on how to get him to go outside and let me know when he wants to go outside.

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭bladespin

In the process right now lol, the paper is a great start, we used the stay dry mats you can buy, when you're at the stage the pup's actually using them all the time just move it gradually to the door, then outside with the door open, soon enough the little one will ask to go out.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I wouldn't bother with the newspaper at all, start as you mean to go on. Bring him outside every time he eats, sleeps, plays etc and go with him. You have to be with him for this to work. When he pees or poos outside then lots and lots of praise and a treat if you like. This shows him that it's good to go outside. Tells are usually sniffing, circling, whining or going to the door but you have to watch him like a hawk. If he goes in the house don't scold him, he'll only go somewhere you can't see him.

There is no magic fix, you just have to keep doing the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

I will try both. Thanks very much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Toulouse wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother with the newspaper at all, start as you mean to go on. Bring him outside every time he eats, sleeps, plays etc and go with him. You have to be with him for this to work. When he pees or poos outside then lots and lots of praise and a treat if you like. This shows him that it's good to go outside. Tells are usually sniffing, circling, whining or going to the door but you have to watch him like a hawk. If he goes in the house don't scold him, he'll only go somewhere you can't see him.

There is no magic fix, you just have to keep doing the above.

I second that as the better option. I taught my JR this method as well, having taken advice from a friend who is a dog trainer. She said the newspaper option makes the dog think it is ok to continue to do the business in that same spot.

So, as above, I introduced her to the back garden and heaped a lot of praise and rewarded her with a little dog biscuit every time she performed outside. It is important not to scold the dog, but pick her up and say a firm "no" and show the dog what you are saying "no" to and then place it outside the back.

Advertisement