Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease of a duplex - maintenance fees?

Options
  • 04-06-2009 8:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

I am about to lease a duplex but a thought just struck me...

If the property attracts maintenance fees who pays this ? The landlord or myself?
    I've tried contacting letting agent and am awaiting word back...

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Do you mean management fees, paid to the management company?

The unit owner is legally liable for management fees, however, it would not be uncommon to pass on some (or sometimes all) of these charges to the tenant (especially things such as waste disposal charges, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

The owner normally would. Definitely now should anyway due to the market

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭TheCityManager

Paulw wrote: »
    Do you mean management fees, paid to the management company?

The unit owner is legally liable for management fees, however, it would not be uncommon to pass on some (or sometimes all) of these charges to the tenant (especially things such as waste disposal charges, etc).

Yep..I meant management fees...

Thanks guys :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

Management fees usually cover things like bin charges, buildings insurance and electricity in common areas. While I would expect most to be covered by the landlord, I don't think it would be unreasonable if the landlord asked the tenant to pay the portion that goes towards bin charges. I would ask for a detailed breakdown of any charges though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

BC wrote: »
    Management fees usually cover things like bin charges, buildings insurance and electricity in common areas. While I would expect most to be covered by the landlord, I don't think it would be unreasonable if the landlord asked the tenant to pay the portion that goes towards bin charges. I would ask for a detailed breakdown of any charges though.
    If the landlord wants to charge youn for bins, make sure you get a breakdown of the management fees between bins, insurance etc..
    Check with tax office as you may be able to claim something back on this
    Dont forget to get the landlords PPS number so you can claim your rent relief ;)
    Nice €400 a year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The landlord should set the rent and if they want to apportion some element of the management fees to you that should be averaged out and included in the rent. It should not be done as a levy in addition to your rent IMO.

Advertisement