Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reunions.

Options
  • 04-06-2009 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭

Good or bad idea?Any you'd like to see?
    I think good idea if there actually is desire between the members to work together properly,any thoughts on the matter?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭bottlerocket

Tricky one.

For example, couldn't begrudge the Pixies a payday. Saw them at Landsdowne and they were excellent. Saw them at Benicassim and they phoned it in, they were terrible (they had to stop mid-set because of a crush and Frank couldn't even be bothered to ask the crowd to move back). Would have liked to see some new music though, same as with any band because without that, its nothing more than a nostalgia trip, rake in a few shekels. What the fcuk was that Police reunion about? Does Sting not have enough money? Likewise Fleetwood Mac. Then again, there's a few bands I missed out on first time round (MBV, Orbital) or I've seen a few times and would love to see again (Blur for example).Sometimes it just pissing over your legacy and for that reason I hope The Smiths and Stone Roses don't do it, much as I love both bands.

Part of me thinks a band that gets back together to make new music means more than a reunion tour. Then I remember Free As A Bird and I need to lie down for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

Suede and Mansun reunions would be most welcome.

Not likely seeing as Butler and Anderson have a pathalogical hatred of one other, and Mansuns bassist done a runner with the bands cash :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Pixies re-union was great to see, though would prefer a non outdoor venue. I only saw them support the chilis and had no interest in the Chilis.

I'd love love love to see Talking Heads reform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

Suede and Mansun reunions would be most welcome.

Not likely seeing as Butler and Anderson have a pathalogical hatred of one other, and Mansuns bassist done a runner with the bands cash :(
    We had a partial Suede reunion in the form of The Tears.Let us never speak of it again.

We had a partial Suede reunion in the form of The Tears.Let us never speak of it again.

Is Andersons solo stuff any good?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

No idea.What I've heard of The Tears is decent,as in it picks up Dog Man Star leaves off.But it petered out very quickly.

No idea.What I've heard of The Tears is decent,as in it picks up Dog Man Star leaves off.But it petered out very quickly.

I'll give it a listen and get back to ya :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 JoeDaToon

Good or bad idea?Any you'd like to see?
    I think good idea if there actually is desire between the members to work together properly,any thoughts on the matter?
    Its a good idea as long as they dont just go straight on tour and release the same stuff again:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

You shouldn't be allowed reform unless its to do a new album im sick of these rehahes of past glories

although there are very very few bands who have released a decent album after reforming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Although they never technically split up, I was delighted with teh Alice in Chains 'reunion', as they have gotten over such a tragic chapter in the band's history and turned it around. They have not reunited for the money and have made a new album in dedication to Layne, rather than in spite of him. (really can't wait til September 27th!)

Also saw Rage at Oxegen last year and it was the best gig of my life. I know its very probable they did that tour for the money, and I would have done anything for new material but ces't la vie, thats the music business nowadays.

On reunions I'd like to see: I would kill for a Soundgarden reunion tbh, I don't see anything holding it back besides that if Cornell did agree to it he'd basically be admitting that he has lost his way in his solo career and that the Timbaland album was all about the money

Now let us never talk again about that Timbaland album...

Anyway I think reunions can work but it has to be about the music and not about making a quick buck off the loyal fans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

You shouldn't be allowed reform unless its to do a new album im sick of these rehahes of past glories

although there are very very few bands who have released a decent album after reforming
    Suede could be about to buck that trend. Barriers was decent if not spectacular but 'It starts and ends with you' is classic Suede and an absolutely excellent comeback single. Liking 'For the Strangers' as well.

Was slightly dreading the release of Bloodsports but I'm really looking forward to it now. This could be the greatest comeback since Lazarus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Pixies re-union was great to see, though would prefer a non outdoor venue. I only saw them support the chilis and had no interest in the Chilis.

Their Doolittle gig in the Olympia was brilliant.
    I'd love love love to see Talking Heads reform.

Can't see that one ever happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Tricky one.

For example, couldn't begrudge the Pixies a payday. Saw them at Landsdowne and they were excellent. Saw them at Benicassim and they phoned it in, they were terrible (they had to stop mid-set because of a crush and Frank couldn't even be bothered to ask the crowd to move back). Would have liked to see some new music though, same as with any band because without that, its nothing more than a nostalgia trip, rake in a few shekels. What the fcuk was that Police reunion about? Does Sting not have enough money? Likewise Fleetwood Mac. Then again, there's a few bands I missed out on first time round (MBV, Orbital) or I've seen a few times and would love to see again (Blur for example).Sometimes it just pissing over your legacy and for that reason I hope The Smiths and Stone Roses don't do it, much as I love both bands.

Part of me thinks a band that gets back together to make new music means more than a reunion tour. Then I remember Free As A Bird and I need to lie down for a while.

The Stone Roses reunion turned out to be a great gig and was better than expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

As long as the Libertines don't reform. Now there's a SH*TE band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Reunions tend to be more of a bad idea than a good idea. If you look at all the bands that reformed and released new music that was a pale shadow of their best material then you really have to question their motive.

One band that has managed to do the whole reunion thing right is Dinosaur Jr. When they reformed with the original line-up they just picked up where they left off like nothing ever happened. As a result we got three great albums in Beyond, Farm and I Bet On Sky that were every bit as good as their first 3 or 4 albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

I would kill for a Talking Heads reunion!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Soundgarden one seems to be going well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭RodgersLFC

I'd love an REM reunion, but its highly unlikely to ever happen, unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

RodgersLFC wrote: »
    It's far too soon for an REM reunion but I wouldn't rule one out in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭RodgersLFC

Zero1986 wrote: »
    It's far too soon for an REM reunion but I wouldn't rule one out in the future.

Its never too soon for an REM reunion! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

RodgersLFC wrote: »

The Edge said somewhere he reckons there will be a reunion.

Too early to say is right, but Mike probably denied future reunions just so they wouldn't be asked too many questions.

Advertisement