Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

google natural search position varies over 24 hours

Options
  • 03-06-2009 11:56pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    A website of mine has been at position 5 in the natural search for the last 4 months for a certain keyphrase. Only regiestered it after christmas. In the last 24 hours it has went from postion 5 to position 1 and back again to 5. This has happened a number of times today, up and down all day.

Anyone know why this could be?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

And i'm back to number 1 again. Could it be that I'm getting number 1 position for the moment and that not all google servers have been updated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Derek B

Could be querying different data centres or else the phenomenon known as 'Google Dance'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

If it is 'Google Dance' you can check/verify it using this tool here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭D.W

I'm also seeing huge swings in Google serps over the past few days both on .ie, .com and .co.uk for a number of terms I watch closely. My own thinking is that its a dance of sorts but also that Google do not want any organic ranking in competitive niches to remain stable long term. SEO is one example term I am monotoring on Google.ie and the results for me between page 1 and 2 are changing hourly even if you press the Back arrow during a search.

Seems to have settled down for the last 24hours. Number 1, Oh yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭D.W

kikel wrote: »
    Seems to have settled down for the last 24hours. Number 1, Oh yeah.
    Its still not stable from what I see. A lot of in and out with various sites I follow. Possibly a data centre thing but seems to be going on quite some time now. Is your site still at No. 1 Kikel?

Sure is. Number 1 for main website and number 2 is the blog for the site since the last post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 momo.ie

Seems like this happening all over the web. Maybe Google are doing some big also change. Also, Toolbar pageranks seem to be exported again in the last couple of days. Seem like some big shakeup happening at google.:).

• Registered Users Posts: 37 EORaghallaigh

I have also seen this happening for a number of sites... the top two results seem to be stable but results 3-20 seem to move around a great deal on a daily basis...

I also noticed lately that another one of my site had shot to number 1. I was impressed, but wasn't receiving any more traffic, Weird. Until one day i logged out of my gmail account and i was only at position number 8.
    Dough.

• Advertisement
Advertisement