Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

linux low system requirments help???

Options
  • 03-06-2009 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

hey im ooking for a linux system that can work on low system requirments and is good for a newbie

my pc has

256 meg ram

40 gig hd

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

With that spec you're restricted in your options.

Best choices are probably Puppy or DSL

Puppy Screenshot
    DSL Screenshot

Although most current distros will probably run on that PC but be slow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

or go for an older version or one with a lighter desktop like XFCE

perhaps xubuntu ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

In my opinion, the best of the ubuntu variants for a lightweight machine is Crunchbang!.
    It's the first thing I'd turn to when I see "256MB RAM"
    Looks good, very up to date. Even the livecd will run well in that much memory,
    and it'll feel faster when you install it. (Though you don't mention processor speed!)
    Current install CD is based on Ubuntu 8.10.2 (October 2008), but it has an update
    script to bring it up to Jaunty if absolutely necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Arch with XFCE

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Another plus one for xfce.

Light, but terribly functional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Mint 7 Gloria with XFCE or Fluxbox... oh wait they're not out yet, tough luck! :p

Last versions here though: http://www.linuxmint.com/download_ce.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Lads - this guy is a newbie as he stated so some clarification is in order.

kevweed: There are two distinct recommendations in the thread - distributions and desktop managers. Distros include (but not limited too) Ubuntu, Fedora, Suse, etc etc. Desktops include XFCE, Gnome, KDE, etc. There's advantages and disadvantages to all (except KDE - it's hateful .... *ducks and runs*).
    Then to confuse you even more there are respins of distributions: Crunchbang and Mint (both mentioned above) are based on Ubuntu - Crunch uses XFCE and Mint uses Gnome (could be wrong about Mint). This has big advantages as they are customised respins but have the weight of a big distro behind them including all software repositories.

XFCE is being recommended as a desktop because it is very lightweight.
    Some distros are full fat (e.g. Ubuntu) but very user friendly especially for new users. Xubuntu is Ubuntu with the XFCE desktop which makes is more friendly. Despite my earlier recommendation for Puppy or DSL I'd agree with Capt'n. Ubuntu is aimed at ordinary people who've never used Linux before and Xubuntu is Ubuntu with the XFCE desktop. It won't be the snappiest on you PC but should do the trick.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Just as a benchmark: I have the latest xubuntu installed here. After boot there is 72MB in use. With the desktop and its various applets, firefox (4 tabs, including this one, which uses flash) and a console there are 181MB in use (excluding cache, so that's actual memory usage). This machine is a laptop and as such would use slightly more ram than a desktop would (battery monitor, pcmcia stuff, bluetooth stuff, yada yada).

Still, as a distro for a newbie, I'd say it's definitely worth a splash. Also, you could probably pick up 256MB of ram free (or very close to free) to bump it to 512. TBH I probably have some upstairs. If you install and are still running xubuntu in a weeks time, I'll go and have a look for you.

edit: you can download the xubuntu install cd from here.

Advertisement