Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing Equipment To Ireland

Options
  • 03-06-2009 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭

Hi All ,

Im looking at getting into the sport. I am able to pick up a new Bowtech bow with accessories for about 370 euro ( Link https://www.bowtecharchery.com/military_discount.php )

Problem is that i am in Iraq at the moment and they will have to ship it here to me. Im trying to figure out how to get it home and as a complete noob i have a few questions which i would really appreciate help with. They are :

1. Can you bring the bow on a plane ( No Arrows )
    2. Can you post one by DHL etc into Ireland
    3. Is an license needed ? I know there is for a crossbow but cant seem to find anything right now on regular bows.
    4. Do you think the equipment offered is worth 370 euro ?

Any help is awesome.

Justin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Panserborn

Hi there,

Welcome to the sport!
    Can you bring the bow on a plane ( No Arrows )
    In general yes. I've travelled with my bow in the hold of the plane many times without a problem. Some people have had trouble, but in general you're fine. Arrows are fine as well as long as they are with the bow in the hold.
    Can you post one by DHL etc into Ireland
    Yup, again, I've done it many times when I was sending my bow away for re-stringing and the likes. I would recommend paying the extra bit for insurance though.
    Is an license needed ? I know there is for a crossbow but cant seem to find anything right now on regular bows.
    Nope, bows are un-licenced
    Do you think the equipment offered is worth 370 euro ?
    Yup, Bowtech General is a good bow! You just have to keep it tuned. Compounds (Bowtechs especially) have lots of moving parts and need to be kept well. Also, don't get a bow that delivers more than 60lbs of power. The maximum allowed for target archery is 60lbs. If there is an option for 70lbs then thats for hunting, which is banned in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Yuppie

Strituck wrote: »
    Problem is that i am in Iraq at the moment and they will have to ship it here to me.

Hi just to make sure, just in case you're getting it sent to or you'l be returning to "Iraq" or any other middle eastern country, some of them have very strict laws about bows and you would need to obtain a license for the bow while its in the country.

we had an incident when we sent a junior team to Egypt and we thought every person carrying bows needed a license but it turns out every bow needs a seperate license for itself.

just something to watch out for because it will be confiscated if you cant present one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Carebear11

Yeah, that was one close call we hope never to repeat!

Advertisement