Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour's dog bit me - what to do?

Options
  • 03-06-2009 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

Ok, so as I was walking home with my dog (on a lead, I might add) I walked past my neighbour's house. As per usual, her jack russel was unrestrained in the front garden and, as usual, made a big show of barking at me. Then as I was walking off (just beyond their house) it ran up from behind me and bit me on the leg.

I am SO SICK of this dog. It's been here a few months (rescue dog) and hasn't stopped barking. It's constantly, constantly barking. I can't walk out my front door without it barking. it usually charges at passers by without doing anything else but this is the first I've known of it actually biting.

Now my neighbour has had a really bad run of it lately. She had cancer and her partner left her after something likke 20 years together. Then her dog (who was like a child to her) died and she rescued this one as a replacement. I really don't want to upset her but this has to stop. I just want her to control the bloody little sh!t.

ARGH I'm so mad at this :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Just tell her. Explain that you like the dog, but you'd hate to see the dog bite someone else and then get put down. Tell her better to keep the dog in. She may get uppity or she may thank you. Either way, the dog shouldn't be free to roam constantly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

Explain the situation to the owners (face to face if you can get to the door!). Biting is an unacceptable and potentially very dangerous vice, even in a terrier and cannot be tolerated under any circumstances. The next time it could be a toddler.

If I were you I would have a firm but polite word with the owner. Let her know that this is unacceptable in a public area. Given the fact that the dog is already left out, I'm not sure how responsive she will be.

Maybe even ask her to take the dog to see a Veterinary surgeon or a dog trainer. For legal reasons, a vet will usually feel obliged to offer the choice of euthanasia, and this may give the owner the awakening she needs. Good luck:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Biting is an unacceptable and potentially very dangerous vice, even in a terrier
    Been bitten more times by terriers than any other dog - very quick with the teeth

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Would it not be just as easy to give the dog a kick and teach it who's boss? The dog isn't going to listen to reason from either you or the owner, if it gets hurt every time it tries to hurt other people it might learn it's lesson.

Those little dogs are odd though, allot of them just seem to be cracked in the head from inbreeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

I can't imagine a dog respond too well to kicking.... Might actually make him worse.

Plus don't kick the dog anyway! It's a rescue it's prob already had enough....
    (also it's abuse.....)

tell her in a nice way that the dog bit you.
    Just tell her. Explain that you like the dog, but you'd hate to see the dog bite someone else and then get put down. Tell her better to keep the dog in.
    +1

She'l prob (should) get embarrased and want to do something to help the dog.
    He needs obedience training. Atleast that would be a start anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 marles

The dog must be under the control of the owner at all times outside of the house.
    You should speak to her regardless of the personal trauma she has suffered,the trauma will dictate how you speak to her but the basic point still stands:The dog bit you.
    A child in my area was bitten twice by the same dog as was an adult who tried to rescue the child.
    My point is the dog could attack a child.In my opinion the owners are at fault if a dog is so aggressive that it bites and attacks other dogs or people.The dog should also in my opinion be put down,which so sad because the owner is wrong.
    Be kind and calm to this lady and explain that the dog had bitten you and behaves very aggressively towards others.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

ScumLord wrote: »
    Would it not be just as easy to give the dog a kick and teach it who's boss?
    icon13.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Call the Gardaí. Let them deal with the owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Firstly I have to say, I would never kick an animal in anger. My own dog used to get a sharp knee to the chest for jumping at people when he was younger to wind him, but once it started actually hurting him that stopped. That is the ultimate limit of the "pain" I'm willing to inflict on animals. Shouldn't hurt animals. They're innocent creatures that reflect the human treatment they've had.

had to go out and only just back so think I'll have a word with her tomorrow.

The dog was rescued from a very abusive situation which is why, up until now, everyone has been putting up with its bad behaviour. But I have to draw a line at this. There are 3 young kids (aged 8, 6 and 4) living right opposite. My leg is tough from lots of sports and so the skin wasn't broken (bloody big bruise with scrape marks though) but a soft child's leg would be bitten right into. That just isn't on.

I really don't want to involve anyone official yet, I'd rather give her a chance to sort it out. Tbh, I don't think she actually likes the dog, which is very sad. :( Personally all I think it needs is good solid, consistent discipline and boundaries. Much like errant children.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

The dog should be reported and put down.

One bite is a bite too many. What if it attacks a child and sees it has the upper hand and does some serious damage or worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

Nabber wrote: »
    +1
    Hmm I didn't want to say this I actually didn't think anyone would agree:), but I think you're right. Biting is very difficult to reverse, and there will always be a lingering danger especially where children are concerned.
    Imagine being the owner of a dog who seriously attacked someone and you knew you hadn't done enough about it or could have prevented it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Nabber wrote: »

One bite is a bite too many. What if it attacks a child and sees it has the upper hand and does some serious damage or worse.
    +1

That's why the OP should be telling the Gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ciars84

It annoys me when little dogs get away with it more cause they are little. If this was a bigger dog like a labrador or german shepherd I am sure that you would have contacted someone about this immediatly.

I definitally think you need to at the very least call into your neighbour and tell her the dog bit you because this dog should not be not roaming free and espically if he is causing trouble!

If it was me I would contact the neighbour first and see how she reacts and what she does. If she does not take it seriously I would contact someone like the gards and ask them to have a word with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Hope you went to the doc regardless of skin not broken.Tell the owner,she may be grateful if you do.The offending dog probably needs exercise and supervised social contact with dogs and humans,maybe training.Probably difficult in the owners case but the suggestion might be welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Hope you got checked by a doctor OP, got bitten near the calf muscle by a small yapper type dog and it swelled up something rotten. Not fun.

I'm not talking about giving it a terrible kick but dogs can't be reasoned with. In their own society violence is their language and it's a hell of a lot better than killing it. I don't see why people get to be violent but dogs don't.

Bottom line is dogs aren't people and shouldn't be expected to act like people. You need to communicate with them in a way they understand. It's very easy to make a dogs scared of you as your 2 or 3 times the size of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Show your neighbour the marks and make your point about the kids across the road.

I 100% disagree with calling the Gardai without giving the owner the opportunity to sort it first.

I do agree that the size of the dog is largely irrelevant. I know JR's pretty well and even an adolescent dog would be well quick enough to get the upper hand on a child under 4 feet tall and do some serious damage. Even on adults, if they managed to catch someone in the sitting position, they could easily cause some very serious flesh wounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

I hate Jack Russells, horrible little dogs, only dog that's ever bitten me and they charge at me sometimes. I feel like punting them into the middle of next week but unfortunately I can't.

Solutions:

Buy a big dog.

Failing that, tell your neighbour her dog will be put down WHEN it bites somebody else and needs to be kept under control. Say it nicely and she'll be fine with it. You're doing her a favour.

Solutions:

Buy a big dog.
    Or even better adopt a mongrel from the pound, much better temperament and much healthier. Pedigrees should be banned outright and we should go back to working dogs where a smallish dog, medium sized dog and large dog would suffice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

Firstly I have to say, I would never kick an animal in anger.

it wouldent be in anger it would be self defence. i was looking after my mother in laws papillion while she was away and he got attacked by an alsation. took a HARD kick to the ribs and then one to the jaw to get the B**T**D to let go. i say if the little sh!t wants to bite then it needs to kn0ow your not afraid, kick away

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I hate Jack Russells, horrible little dogs, only dog that's ever bitten me and they charge at me sometimes.

+1.

I've been bitten a few times, and always by JRT's - I detest them.

I've got two nice Staff's, both have been attacked by JRT's - I've two Vet bills for attacks against my older guy.

OP, I feel you've little choice but to report the matter to the police.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭runningman1980

I love animals, dogs in particular but I cant condone an animal that bites. All you have to do is ring the dog warden, explain the situation and this will be sorted out promptly. Do not waste anymore time on this matter, you will regret it if some poor child gets injured and you didnt act sooner. With dog ownership, comes responsibility and whatever that dog owner's personal circumstances are(unfortunate for her) it has nothing got to do with the issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

Or even better adopt a mongrel from the pound, much better temperament and much healthier. Pedigrees should be banned outright and we should go back to working dogs where a smallish dog, medium sized dog and large dog would suffice.

Yes yes I know...I was joking re big dog.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Would it not be just as easy to give the dog a kick.

You can have an infraction for that comment after the post was reported.

Advertisement