Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homosexual cat

Options
  • 03-06-2009 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

My 1 year old neutered male cat is trying to mount my other 2 neutered males. He is grabbing them by the neck and then tries to mount them. This usually ends in a fight.

Is this behaviour normal and is there anything I can do to stop it? My big tabby male is not impressed and I think he will tear the young lad to shreds.

Help please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

your cat is not gay :rolleyes: he's trying to dominate the other cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If you can't add something constructive then please do not post. 2 trolls have had their posts deleted. The next troll gets banned.

OP, I am sure someone will know about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

As Molberts said it is standard dominance behaviour. The young fella is testing the water and fancying his chances of becoming the alpha cat. It's more than likely he'll keep it up until (a) the current alpha gives him a right beating and reinforces the current pecking order or (b) he takes top spot or at least moves up to second place.

The big guy won't seriously hurt the young guy, he'll just give him enough of a pasting to let the youngster know who's boss, and probably humiliate the youngster a bit too just to put him back in his place.

Where multiple cats live together the dominance pecking order can often be quite fluid and can change and re-change relatively frequently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I seen the same behaviour with my own 4 year old cat being introduced into a house with a 10 year old already there.

There was some pinning down, mild scratching and the odd scrap. It ended after a while. I have no idea who's the boss now but I noticed they don't give each other the time of day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭nearly

a friend of mine, has 3 cats, and she had dominance issues found out that cats need "levels" like vertical levels- and that is how they get their territory. hence, you can tell is a cat is the dominant one if that one tends to always go for, and get the higher places.

• Advertisement
Advertisement