Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing on the suir estuary

Options
  • 03-06-2009 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Im heading down the in July for a few days. can anyone recommend any type of fishing around the area (with permits of course). I can bring my course rod or my fly rod. I just dont know the area very well and as i am a midlands man i am completly ignorant to fishing on the coast.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

It's good fishing country.

Grilse upriver at Kilsheelan.

All along the river and tributaries, the trout in the Suir grow big, evening fly fishing could be interesting.

You could try for dace with the coarse rod - they're in the Barrow and Nore, so I bet the Suir now has them.

Down in the sea ... bass ... but after the closed season ends!
    And spinning for macks off the rocks outside the estuary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

coolwings wrote: »
    It's good fishing country.

Grilse upriver at Kilsheelan.

All along the river and tributaries, the trout in the Suir grow big, evening fly fishing could be interesting.

You could try for dace with the coarse rod - they're in the Barrow and Nore, so I bet the Suir now has them.

Down in the sea ... bass ... but after the closed season ends!
    And spinning for macks off the rocks outside the estuary.
    thanks. sounds like i need to pack a lot of gear! im staying in faithlegg house just by the estuary. maybe they have permits for fly fishing on the estaury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

Just bring the fly rod, You can have great crack with the macks during the day and then hit the rivers for trout that night

Yes - the fly rod ... salmon at dawn, macks during the day ... trout at dusk.
    Who needs sleep? It's a holiday, innit?

coolwings wrote: »
    Yes - the fly rod ... salmon at dawn, macks during the day ... trout at dusk.
    Who needs sleep? It's a holiday, innit?
    Get the bbq going and you would have a dream holiday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Thats great news lads. Cant wait no to get a bit of sport. i will have to orgaise myself with flies then for salmon and mackeral. i didnt realise mackeral move up an estuary.

They won't go far in. There will be a salinity barrier at some point, and it will move in and out of the estuary as the tide rises and falls.
    Usually, I look for the nearest "narrows" before open sea, and assume macks will be outside that, but bass, flounder, etc can go way into low salinity and come rightup an estuary.

Did anyone mention MULLET?

stevoman wrote: »
    Thats great news lads. Cant wait no to get a bit of sport. i will have to orgaise myself with flies then for salmon and mackeral. i didnt realise mackeral move up an estuary.
    Often caught them on the boyne estuary up maybe 5 or 6 hundred yards some sport with them on a fly rod, you can use any bright fly (orange fritz) should do the trick. I never went after mullet but belive they are another great sport fish must give it a go soon:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭DTrotter

stevoman wrote: »

In my local river in Donegal I've seen a good few occasions where the mackerel went up the river to the high tide point, about a mile and a half at least. If there was a big tide with the wind behind it they would go up and once the tide tunred they would come back down with it. A truly amazing sight, the river was literally full of fish moving down with the tide for hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Paulie907

fished carrick on suir a few years back, no licenece needed for trout fishing, you will need one for salmon though...didnt have to much luck as I remember although heard it can be a good spot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Grahamb23

Just moved to the Clonmel Kilsheelan area. is there anywhere in the area that has no permit required fishing ???

Advertisement