Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a Virtual Linux box

Options
  • 03-06-2009 10:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys -

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask, or if it's a really stupid question. I've been googling for a while but can't find a definitive answer (or one that I can understand anyway).

I work as a technical trainer, showing customers how to install and configure our software. At the moment, the job has some major drawbacks, which are:

1. Training is done on Customer Site. Customer needs to supply the backend machines to be used during the training class.

2. The customer will usually not know how to install the software, so I either need to try to do it remotely, or on the first day. This leaves me open to all kinds of hassles depending on the flavour/spec of the box they give me.

What I would like to do is to have a copy of a linux - RH ES4 if possible, on a DVD/CD/USB. I could pre-install and confure the software and then, have the customers use the DVD/CD/USB on their laptops. This would give them a "Virtual" box, all preconfigured.

Is this even possible? Could anyone explain what I'd need to do?

Also, I'll need to be able to write to the virtual box. If I use a DVD or CD, can I configure it so that I can use the HD on the laptop for write access?

all help would be hugely appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

You could easily install VMWare Player quickly on their PC's for free and use a pre configured vmos VMWare image created by you maybe. Just copy this from your external hdd onto their computer and load up the image from VMWare. Write access and everything is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

that sounds like a definite plan! Could I create the image with any O/S? Is it difficult to create the image in the first place?

thanks a million WM.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

tbh wrote: »
    that sounds like a definite plan! Could I create the image with any O/S? Is it difficult to create the image in the first place?

thanks a million WM.
    The major OS's are supported: http://www.vmware.com/support/ws5/doc/intro_supguest_ws.html - however it supports other too, they just ones fully tested, I've Xubunutu, Ubunutu, Kubunutu, SuSe installed successfully too.
    You'll need the standard work station version of VMWare first however, - Creating image is too easy - just insert the CD or add a virtual CD using an ISO and boot from it and install linux as you would in a normal PC.

There are VMWare images already available online that have a linux distro pre installed, so you could even go far as downloading one of these and then configuring way you want in VMWare Player.

Some here: http://www.thoughtpolice.co.uk/vmware/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

just on the thoughtpolice site now, thanks a million man, you've saved me hours. Literally, hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

One thing about the VMWare thing is that you need a reasonably decent pc to run it on. Although if you let the customers know a minimum spec in advance it won't be an issue

For a bootable pen drive you could check out http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ which has tutorials on setting it up.

I currently use it with Ubuntu 9.04 and it works well, although you can still run into driver issues etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement