Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog weight

Options
  • 03-06-2009 9:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭

Whats the best way to help my dog put on some weight? Is there any food in particular that anyone can recommend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

What type of Dog and habits etc

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Allgäuerin

i give my dog twice a week cottage cheese with her food and she loves it!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Is the dogs worming programme up to date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 teckster

Here some weight gain recipes -

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/diet4.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

He's an 11 year old half german sheperd and i'm not to sure about the other half.
    He had a prostate problem,a tumor on his testiciles and a couple of other problems, So I brought him to a new vet around 6 weeks ago and after an exam the vet gave me some tablets and said he'd be fine, but he just got worse so i went back to the old vet they took him in for a few days to fix him.
    He's very picky about his food and someone told me just to leave whatever food he doesn't eat alone as he will eat it eventully but he is so gaunt at the moment i'd prefer not to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

What are you feeding him at the moment? have you tried adding some nice things to the food to encourage him to eat? Try adding cooked mince, tuna, maybe bit of gravy to his dry food, anything tasty to get him to eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

teckster wrote: »

Brill website by the way.

Dogs love raw meat and generally it's good for getting weight on.

I've recently took in a boxer who really needs feeding up but with the hot weather they've all gone off the food a bit. I've been adding canned food ( which they adore but i don't like giving) to encourage them.

Has anybody the names of any good tonics ya can buy. I got collivet off the vet once but it's caffeine orientated and not so sure if it's too good for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

Puppy food is higher in calories than normal adult dog food, you could try that. My vet would recommend it to help put on weight in older, debilitated dogs. There's also some prescription diets you could try if the weight is really falling off him, Hill's a/d tins are great, very palatable, high in calories too, very useful for building a dog up after an illness.
    p.s., was the dog castrated after the prostate / testicular problems were diagnosed? I hope so...

Advertisement