Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question re pressure etc

Options
  • 03-06-2009 7:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

Good morning.

I would be grateful for your wondrously expert advice.

We have a rescued collie dog who freaks out when there is thunder around. Long story..
    Major panic attacks.

Last evening she threw the worst wobbly ever. Utter terror.
    We had to sedate her and she is still badly.

Not a cloud in the sky and nothing that could have triggered this.

I am wondering if the heat carries the same pressure as thunder? It is this that sets collies and other dogs off; they can sense this hours before it arrives. I know there were some very ominous looking clouds around y'day afternoon. ( we are Blue Stacks, South Donegal)

This is a long shot I know; we need to find the triggers for her. She is a lovely dog and it is hard to see her suffer.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I think it is quite possible that weather or even magnetic disturbances of any kind, whether obvious to humans or not, can disturb an animal. So any front whether it produces a storm or just a windshift and air mass change, might have an effect, but then loud thunder really sets off dogs, I know this from where I live, we tend to get only 2-3 storms a year, and when they come, you can hear dogs barking for hours afterwards. They also have a tendency to run off if possible in storms. Meanwhile, cats tend to hide under a bed or somewhere.

Sometimes there are magnetic storms underway that would have no impact on human perceptions at all, unless you happened to be into "ham radio" operations or something like that. Animals can sense these and migratory birds, or whales and dophins, are sometimes thrown off and so they go off course and get into difficulties.

Advertisement