Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trip Report from the Camp: Thank You Poker Forum

Options
  • 02-06-2009 9:16pm

As promised here is a trip report from our recent camp. Enjoy slagging me.

DSCF9538.jpg

Friday afternoon myself, Rory, Terry and Kyle met at the Scout Den and headed off to Dalgan Park in Navan. We had dropped the gear down the night before and were headed down a couple of hours before the kids to set up the site. We arrived at about 3 and, in scorching heat, set up the marquee and the tents for the lads. The cubs themselves arrived at about 6 and they settled down into their tents before the opening ceremonies kicked off the whole weekend in style.

09jamoigeeventphotograpr.jpg

Saturday morning the kids headed off to their first set of activity bases. The theme of the camp was "Mythical and Mystical Ireland" and the bases were themed around that. The first base was titled "Hill of Tara" and was mostly activity areas with the odd craft area thrown in. The lads made commemorative magnets, making the moulds and melting the metal themselves, as well as swinging oversized hurls (big enough for CuChullain) and trying to best an obstacle course.

09jamoigeeventphotograpv.jpg

In the afternoon more bases followed and that evening the sub-camps hosted a series of games as well as a "J-Factor" (Jamoige Factor) talent competition for the kids.

Sunday was more of the same with the kids forcing us leaders to take part in some of the games so they could cheer us on. The afternoon saw me Irish dancing, carrying "viking ships" (I am the one in the blue top- we won by the way) and doing solos with a hurl as well as making lava lamps and taking part in a 300 person water fight that ended up with me and 3 other leaders being surrounded by 100 kids with buckets of water.

09jamoigeeventphotograpx.jpg

Sunday night was the closing ceremony and an open air disco for the kids. Monday we packed up, swapped neckerchiefs and badges and said our goodbyes to the new friends the kids had made and set off back for the den.

I would like to say thank you to everyone who helped our kids have this amazing experience and particularly to Flushdraw and Gillybean who really went above and beyond anything I ever hoped for. Also to Trippie for making sure I got the money (albeit at the last minute) and to the posters who donated separately to me. Thank you all so much from me and the lads:

dsc0206f.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 VoodooDonkey

4 adults surrounded by 100 cubs with buckets of water??!! :(
    That'd be a clear fold imo. :p
    Fine job on the camp though,
    looks like a terrific week-end for miniature people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭kakak1

Don't know you Kayroo but I'd have great admiration for young adults who get involved with kids whether it be football, hurling, scouts etc..

The most important thing you can offer kids is your spare time & unfortunately too few are willing to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭DAMO72

Kieth it was a total pleasure to be able to give something to the kids . It sounds like you guys had a ball .Well done and fair play to you all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

I never thought much about scouting until your posting about it, but given your description of of the backgrounds of some the kids and that social capital is at an historic low I've become convinced that it's a thoroughly good thing. And I'm not afraid to admit that I am mildly jealous that they got to make lava lamps :)

hotspur wrote: »
    And I'm not afraid to admit that I am mildly jealous that they got to make lava lamps :)

How to make a very cheap lava lamp: Just for Hotspur:D

1. Get a 2 litre or 1 litre coke bottle.

2. Fill the bottle 3/4 of full with vegetable oil. Add water to the remainder of the bottle, almost to the top but without overflowing. Drop in 10 drops of food coloring, to make the solution appear fairly dark.

3. Cut an Alka-Seltzer into 8 pieces. Drop one, or more than one for cooler effects, of the tiny pieces into the vegetable oil and water mixture. The mixture will start to bubble.

4. Wait until the bubbling stops and add another piece of Alka-Seltzer or add more than one for cooler effects. Continue until there is no more Alka-Seltzer left, and the bubbling has completely stopped.

5. Tip the bottle back and forth and watch the fluid appear. The tiny droplets of liquid join together to make one big lava-squirt blob.

6. Place a strong flashlight or search light under the bottle. This will illuminate the bubbles for maximum effect.

If you don't have Alka-Seltzer then salt works just as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement