Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1984 ex ambulance camper

Options
  • 02-06-2009 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭

Hi all

my boyfriend and i are thinking of buying a campervan. We just want it for maybe concerts and short breaks around ireland.

at the moment we've just been looking at older makes and alot of campers seem to be around the 1984/85 bracket.

What do you look for in a camper of this age? even though it may be cheap is it a waist of money? do campers hold their age well? also what licence would be required to drive a camper.

were complete novices so any info ye can give would be really appreciated. The one we like best of what we've seen is an ex ambulance van? is this common to be converted?

also can ye suggest places to look for them

looking forward to reading the comments

Cheers

Wicked

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭zoltar_boi

Hi Wicked,

On the issue of licence, you can drive most small vans on a normal car licence, but you have to be careful that the motorhome you buy is under the magic 3,500 kg limit. If it goes over that you need a higher class.

For a real camper, it has to be at least 1.8m high to be classed as a motorhome, so Ambulance must fall into that by virture of being able to stand up in one.

There are many van out there from the 80's and provided they are looked after, there is no reason they can't be good. There is a few dangers to look for - and although not an expert - get a damp check done by an independant person, as dampness is the biggest killer of motorhomes.

Best of luck in the hunt - and welcome (in advance) to a great lifestyle!

Michael

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Laducar

I think what ur looking at is probably vw t25 tin top. Or hiace tin top which are harder to come by. There's a for sale section on type2ireland.org . Make sure you test drive a few to get a feel for them. Tempermental things! But lots of fun! Can turn into an obsession though! Happy camping!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

ok so look for a damp check... would this be ceilings, corners etc?

also i found out campers don't need nct's so how can they guarnatee it to be sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭zoltar_boi

The damp check is normally every panel that comes in contact with the outside - walls, over cab bed base, ceiling etc.

As for NCT - that's right - not required. Get yourself a good mechanic to give any van you're interest in the once over - never trust the "oh she's in perfect condition" guarantee - if you were buying a house would you get a surveyor in???

M

Advertisement