Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adopting a second kitten

Options
  • 02-06-2009 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

Hey all

Just wondering if I can get any info on this.

I am looking to adopt a second kitten, I was going to do this a few months ago but decided to wait until I moved (which I have) to a bigger apartment.

I already have a 1yr old female, who was neutered a few weeks ago.
    She was around a tomcat a few weeks ago for an hour & was very agitated, I've read up on how to introduce new kittens & everything.

Would it be better to adopt another female or a male?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Get a male. There are exceptions but it's common for 2 females to never get along....the best you could hope for is that they tolerate each other.
    I have 1 male and 6 females....all the girls get along great with Simba, but Sparrow and Blaze hate each other, Giles spits and hisses if Carrie gets too near, Noodles is terrified of Sparrow, Alaska always keeps her distance from the other 5.
    Like I said, there are exceptions (mother & daughter, or sibling girls, or girls adopted at the same time and around the same age) but generally getting a second female would be a 'wait and see and hope for the best' situation!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

i agree, they tend to see other females as a bit of a threat wheras they'll co exist happily enough with a male by simply blanking him as if he doesn't exist :D

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭HereticPrincess

Oh okay, that makes sense :D

Are male cats any different from female? I've only ever had females..
    I was told they spray / pee to mark territory
    I'm not sure if that's true at all, if girls are easier to litter train.

Thank you for the advice so far though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

PinkTulips wrote: »
    i agree, they tend to see other females as a bit of a threat wheras they'll co exist happily enough with a male by simply blanking him as if he doesn't exist :D
    Much like humans eh?!:D

HP, a male marks his territory by spraying when he's warding off potential toms taking over his 'pride'. Get him neutered at 6 months and it'll prevent a lot of problems.

Much like humans eh?!:D

hey, it works for me ;)

HP, whereabouts are you? i have 2 kittens needing homes, one male and one female, if you were close enough i'd be happy for you to try them out with you girl and see what she thinks?

• Advertisement

I'm in Meath, just moved there. I'll be looking in the next 2-3 weeks.
    Hoping to get a tabby as Ella is all black :rolleyes:

I think I'll take your advice & get a boy:D

there are a few tabby males on the board at the minute (or if you fancy a b&w male that's what i have ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 the pink lady

Drogheda Animal Rescue always have loads of cats and kittens needing loving homes, see www.dar.ie They are open Saturdays for rehoming.

Oh I shall check there, thank you :)
    I think a boy is the way to go,

She's a fussy lil madam sometimes, so she'll hopefully be fine with him :rolleyes:

Advertisement