Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New born kittens found

Options
  • 02-06-2009 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

My father was cleaning out his shed(he thought there was a rat in it) and found a mother cat with kittens, the cat ran off and hasn't come back in a few hours. What can I do with them? Will an animal shelter be able to help and if so where is there one (around kildare/carlow).

I've just found out and would have been on sooner if I'd known.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Stay away for a while, the mother might come back. And she might have owners. And the kittens would be theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

I think if you touch them and the mother is not "used" to you , she may leave them.

Not sure , I don't know much about cats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Alright, I found a number to a shelter and they said to wait another hour see if the mother comes back and if not they are going to take them. I don't know if the cat is someones pet or a stray or where it is but both the cat and my father got a big fright.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Definitely stay away from them for a while....the mother probably isn't far, I'd say she's waiting til it's dark and she'll go back and feed them and then she'll move them. What she perceived to be a safe area for her kittens has been 'invaded'!!! Don't remove them....the mother will be frantic when she goes back and they've been stolen.

An hour?? Please give her til morning....I've a strong suspicion she's waiting for the cover of darkness. Cats don't abandon their young, she'll be back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Yeah, definitely leave them overnight. If they're still there in the morning, ask some neighbors if any of their cats are/were pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

kittens can survive ages with no milk unlike human babies so they'll be ok til morning. (a friend of mine took in a cat who gave birth on her porch and she's disappeared for over 24 hours at a time :O)

if there's no sign in the morning then get them to a vet or rescue bt i'd be surprised if they don't vanish overnight... or she may even decide to keep them there if she's brave

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

DONT TOUCH THEM!

We interrupted a mother by mistake and she moved the kittens to another location leaving one behind which i had to feel every 2 hours for 2 days untill we found the mother again and introduce her.

Chances are shes out looking for a safe place for them to nest again. Definitly leave it over night.

We were going to bring them to the shelter but just as one of us were walking to the door I noticed a white tipped tail. The cat came back and started moving the kittens(took about 40minutes for her to some back after the first one). My brother did pick one up but she still seems to be moving them, hopefully she'll take them all, I'll check tomorrow.

But they are all black, one slightly more greyish and one with white paws, all adorable.

Phew! That's great news! God can you imagine what she'd be going through if they were gone when she came back for them?!
    So do any of your neighbours own a cat that was pregnant?

• Advertisement

None of the neighbours have cats, it's fairly rare to see any cat around the area. It's gone now anyway and hopefully they will be fine.

Advertisement