Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rear-ended...what to do next?

Options
  • 02-06-2009 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭

I was stuck stationary in traffic in Navan town today when the car behind suddenly jerked forward, ramming the back of my car twice before stalling.

The driver in the other car was pretty shaken up and nearly reversed into another car when I parked my own car by the pavement in order to exchange details.

Despite a little discomfort to my neck and a little dizziness, I'm ok now. I was more worried about her as she was crying and in such a state that I had to parallel-park her own car for her as she looked like she might going to smash into the car directly behind.

I took her insurance details and I'm wondering what to do next? Should I report the accident to the guards? Should I bring the car into the dealers for an estimate? etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭ball

The gards won't do anything unless there were serious injuries involved.

You should probably get yourself checked out anyway. Sometimes you think you feel fine, but then a few days later you can't move.

Let her insurance co know in the morning. They will probably send an assessor out to see your car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Yes report it so that is recorded. That hysterical woman may not be so hysterical tomorrow when she talks to another family member.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Pop down to the garda station in the morning, let them know.

Ring her insurance company to claim.

Ring yours if you want aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

ball wrote: »
    The gards won't do anything unless there were serious injuries involved.

You should probably get yourself checked out anyway. Sometimes you think you feel fine, but then a few days later you can't move.

Let her insurance co know in the morning. They will probably send an assessor out to see your car

+1

might be no to get a medical opinion. like you I felt fine but two days later I couldnt move my arm upwards. The doc said I also had secondary shock symptoms. took about 3 weeks for heal & I got some physiotherapy.

BTW it wasnt an insurance scam the other party paid for the car them selves & I was happy to leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

ball wrote: »
    You should probably get yourself checked out anyway. Sometimes you think you feel fine, but then a few days later you can't move.......

Shock can do funny things to you, you'd be as well to get yourself checked out - OH's brother was in a smack recently, nearly a fortnight afterwards he started getting pains in his back and arm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Likewise, I was rear ended in April 08. I still have a sore neck and get bad headaches. I didn't notice anything for 24-48 hours after the impact.
    * record the incident with the gardai
    * record the incident with your insurance company
    * go to a doctor and get yourself checked over
    * depending on the condition of the car, get it checked over by a mechanic - there may be damage not visible to you.

How did they manage to hit you twice?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

kbannon wrote: »
    How did they manage to hit you twice?
    The driver in the car behind me must have taken her foot off the clutch thinking it was in netural, shunted me moving me forward, I jammed the breaks and she shunted me again.

*BUMP*

Main dealer quoted €3,500 for repairs. The insurance company sent out an assessor two weeks' ago and I came back from holiday today to find a letter looking to settle for €3,200, and also asking me to sign a disclaimer saying that I won't make any further claims.

The quote for €3,500 was genuine and I sent the insurance company a photocopy from the main dealer. I mean WTF? I haven't even made a claim for personal injury at all.

Should I refer this to my solicitor, or just send the insurance company a P.F.O. letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

phone them again - tell them that their "offer" doesnt cover the quotation for the damage that you were given and please direct further correspondance to solicitor. (prob contact a solicitor beforehand)...

-they had their opportunity to finish the matter by paying for everything - instead they offered you a lesser amount and want you to sign a waiver..... the solicitor will contact them and after a number of months you will receive a better offer (one which will pay your medicals car expenses and some compensation - remember the repairs amount is only the minimum that you must be given - compensation for the devaluation of car.... its harder to sell after its been crashed and you get a lower amount at re-sale.

I assume you have not received any further injuries (sometimes it takes a while for them to appear)

Rough list of entitlements:
    - car repair (including mechanic assessment)
    - compensation for depreciation/damage to car
    - medical bills (necessary - as you should goto doc at least twice for a complete OK)
    - car rental (if necessary)
    - engineers report (both sides will do independent assessments)

you are lucky not to have been physically or mentally traumatised (happens regularly with car accidents - even simple bump/tip type crashes)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 CleoD

Your entitled to get the full cost of repairing your car. Tell them you wont be accepting anything less than what the dealer that you have picked has quoted. They have to pay out for it and you are perfectly within your rights to have your car repaired by who you wish (once they are requtable etc).

The insurance company shouldn't be trying to do a deal witn you, they should be contacting the garage directly.

Dont sign anything until you receive the full payment towards repairing your car

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JG Murphy

€3200 is a pittance.

Contact a solicitor. You should be getting close to €10k for the medical end alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

JG Murphy wrote: »
    €3200 is a pittance.

Contact a solicitor. You should be getting close to €10k for the medical end alone.

And your whats wrong with this country.

OP

That is normal procedure, the company will offer what the acessor deems to be the cost of the repairs, you do not have to accept it, by all means you have the right to refuse,

AFAIK the whole stating that this is full and final payment ect has no standing in the courts, you have up to two years for personal injury.

And your whats wrong with this country.
    Harsh...considering I didn't put in for personal injury.
    That is normal procedure, the company will offer what the acessor deems to be the cost of the repairs, you do not have to accept it, by all means you have the right to refuse,
    Considering that I'm gobbling four Solpadeine every morning to get me out of bed from back & neck pain, I think I'll see my GP and refer the whole thing to my solicitor.

Thanks for the advice all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

That was'nt aimed at you, it was at your man splurting out gross figures just because the accident was'nt your fault

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Considering that I'm gobbling four Solpadeine every morning to get me out of bed from back & neck pain, I think I'll see my GP and refer the whole thing to my solicitor.

Don't sign a thing the assesor gives you in that case.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Be careful with Solpadine - its actually quite addictive!

Advertisement